Take Us Back (Part 2) | "I need you to trust me."

As we kept running away from the walkers, we came across an entrance to a cave on the side of a cliff. The walkers continued to follow as we all stopped in front of it.

AJ: Clem, monsters. We need to move!

Clementine: We’ll have to squeeze through there.

Tenn: We don’t know where it goes…

Y/n: Yeah, but we do know the walkers are out here.

Tenn: But--

AJ: Move it, dummy!

He pushed past the other boy, running into the cave and Tenn sighed walking in as well. I let Clementine go in front of me and then I took one more look at the walkers before running in behind her.

Clementine: We’re safe, but not for long… Damn it, it’s so dark in here.

AJ: This sucks. This really fucking sucks.

Y/n: We’ll figure something out.

Clementine began to search around the cave, while Tenn walked over to me in the darkness.

Tenn: Em, did you… did you see Minnie out there!? I didn’t see her anywhere. But that doesn’t mean she escaped. I don’t know.

I sighed, kneeling down to match his height.

Y/n: Tenn… I saw her on the beach. I saw her get bitten. I’m sorry.

He looked sad for a minute, but lifted his head up with a sad smile.

Tenn: So she’ll go to the next place. With Sophie. They can be together. That’s good.

Y/n: Yeah, but…

I started to question if I should tell him the truth about how Sophie died.

Tenn: What is it?

Y/n: Okay, this may hurt, Tenn.

He nodded, nervously, and started playing with his sleeves.

Y/n: Sophie didn’t die a hero in the Delta… She died because Minnie killed her.

Tenn: What? B-But… Why would s-she do that?

I saw tears starting to form in his eyes and I wiped them away with my thumb.

Y/n: She… She didn’t have a choice. It was either her or Sophie and I guess she chose… Sophie. I really am sorry, Tenn. It’s what got Minerva so deep into the Delta.

He nodded, sniffing.

Tenn: I-It’s okay. I guess… I guess, I should have seen it coming. But at least now I know the truth… finally. 

I pulled him into a hug and he leaned his head on my shoulder.

Y/n: I love you, Tenn.

Tenn: Love you, too, Y/n/n.

I leaned back, wiping away the rest of his tears and smiled sadly.

Y/n: Now, sit tight. I’m going to go help Clem find us a way out of here and then we can get back to life at the school, okay?

He nodded and I got up from my knee, heading over towards Clementine. She seemed to be trying to set a make-shift torch alight, but she was having some trouble. I leaned on the cave wall, watching her with raised eyebrows.

Y/n: You having some trouble?

Clementine: No, not at all. It’s completely fine. No… Maybe.

Y/n: Oh, no. You seem to be doing great. Carry on.