Chapter Nine

Cassandra

When I woke up, the sun was high. I immediately got out of bed and went straight to the bathroom, washed, then toothbrush. Afterward, I headed to the kitchen where the cooking assistants were already busy—some purely cleaning back and forth.

An assistant approached me. 'Are you new here?'

'Huh?' was the only thing I could answer. I don't know what to say; they're unfamiliar, and no one here was present last night.

'The boss won't be happy if you work so slowly. Wear this.' She handed me a uniform. 'Help out so you won't be punished. By the time it hits 10 am, the bosses will be down.'

"Uhm... I'm not an—"

She suddenly handed me the mop she was holding and then left the kitchen. I looked around at the maids; none of them were here last night. Not even the one who gave me water when we first arrived.

I saw different emotions in their eyes—some disgusted, some judgmental, and others simply shaken.

'She acts like she's the owner of the house. Look at her dress; is that really what she wore on her first day here?' I even overheard a maid whisper.

'She didn't seem to know what she was getting into.' Someone else sneered.

I looked at the uniform in my arms. 'Are you really just going to stare at that?'

I turned around and saw the woman who gave me the uniform. She grabbed my arm and pulled me toward the sink. The maid who was washing there was dismissed, and then I was pushed. 'You wash that. If you haven't started when I come back, you'll taste how rude I can be,' she growled.

She looked at the other maids. 'What are you looking at?! All of you will work if you don't want to be punished!' She shouted and then left the kitchen.

The other helpers obeyed immediately, so I just turned around and touched the utensils used for cooking. 'How is this? I know nothing about housework; I might just break here.'

Someone approached me. 'I'm sorry for her behavior. That's just the way she is; she acts like she's the queen here. Are you new?' I shook my head, and she frowned.

'Why are you here, then? What do you do for a living?'

'I was here yesterday. I also don't know why Nicolas didn't send me home. It's a good thing, though, because I don't have work on Saturday.'

'Nico-? Huh?!' She even screamed.

The other assistant looked at us. 'Didn't you hear what Ms. Jones said? Go to work if you don't want to be punished.' The person I was talking to just glared at the maid and then back at me.

'Why do you only call the boss Nicolas?'

'He's my fiancé,' I answered.

'Holy moly! Are you serious? Why didn't you say that earlier? You should never touch this thing.' Then she immediately grabbed the uniform from my hands and threw it away.

She hesitated to look into my eyes, then bowed to me and led me to the dining hall, making me sit there. 'Do you want something to eat, Ma'am?' she asked.

'Uhm... please don't do that.' Our eyes met. 'Don't bow at me like that; I'm not royalty.'

'I'm sorry. We have to do that. I'm sorry, Ma'am, for Ms. Jones. When the boss finds out, she's dead, and that's only fair because of her ugly behavior.'

I smiled at her. 'Can you get me a coffee?'

'Right away, Ma'am.'
__________

I wrote this chapter because of boredom so sorry if it bores you. I'm just sorting some sh*t.