39

**** Lisa Michaels****
The thanksgiving dinner was a success on my part. Aunt Edith had spent most of it fussing over Ella and our safety since we lived together but it was better than the criticism she'd had for me for the longest time.

After dinner we all had different tasks to undertake so everyone dispersed in less over a minute.

Friday noon, Ella and I were forced to join some richass snobby family for lunch.

To say that pretence and ignorance were the only tools for survival would be an understatement.

"I think Cole's genuinely interested in you." Ella voiced as we leaned on some palm trees after our long walk around the beach.

"And you know that because...?"

"There's just something about how he treats you that seems so genuine," Ella stressed and I turned to read her expression. "I don't know how to put it but there is."

"Well that's good for me since we're dating isn't it?" I replied shallowly without wanting to think deep into it at the moment. "What about you?"

"What about me?" Ella deadpanned and I rolled my eyes at her.

"Aren't you in the very least interested in any male? Or female? Or animal? Just anything really."

"Dave Morgan seems like a plausible option but then there is this hunk that stalks the house all the time," she gave me a blank look and my eyes narrowed before I caught on.

"Fuck! You like Harris?" My grin could not have been wider at the moment.

"No! I like Lucifer. Haven't you seen the chemistry?" She yelled in frustration before sighing, "he can't even spare me a glance when he's around you." She voiced quietly.

"Harris doesn't like me!" I protested. How was it so hard for her to see that? "Harris and I are just really close but other than that, there's nothing more to us. Look, if you really like him, just let him know how you feel, he's a really good listener."

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Plus I can bet you a million bucks that he's head over heels for you and not me. He doesn't even remember my name half the time he's at the apartment." She finished with a frown and my hopeful expression fell.

Of course he remembered her name. Didn't he call her Ella all the time? Bella maybe? This was going to be hard.

"Anyways, the last thing I want is a relationship. So, what are you going to do about Dave?"

"Nothing really. I'm all over that boat. All I want is to focus on Cole and I." I told her confidently and she eyed me for a second as if analysing something.

"I wish I was as lucky as you. I just have so much to deal with," another sigh and a defeated look. What was up with her?

"Don't waste your wishes on my luck, absolutely not worth it." Turning to watch the sunset, I sighed. "I'm worried about you, you know?" I wasn't the heart to heart type of person but I felt the urge to just spit out. "You look pale and you worry me a lot when you get sick." I told her quietly and the silence carried on for a moment.

"Isn't it funny?" She asked quietly and I turned to face her. She was facing the orange light just like I had been. "Getting pregnant, giving birth..." She trailed off and eyed me, "imagine a mini-human living inside you."

"Yeah well, I've never really thought of that," I replied absently not seeing her point.

"Of course you've never!" She scoffed and rolled her eyes making me furrow my brows in confusion, "but you better start now because that Cole guy, is a keeper." She said and pushed herself off the palm trunk and started walking back to the house.

I was about to call out to her but my phone rang before I could.

"Hello babe?" Cole's voice rasped through the phone.

"Hey," I replied. "How was the game?"

"We lost," he told me as I heard some noise in the background.

"I'm sorry about that."I told him truthfully. "Are you okay?"

"No, not at all. I just have a lot on my mind and I contributed to almost half of the reasons as to why we lost the game today." He told me in an exasperated tone, "I just want to see you." The latter came out heavy and wistful and I closed my eyes.

What was happening to Cole?—To us?

"I want to see you too." I replied quietly. He must have been feeling like crap after losing one of the most important games for him. "Where are you?" Hopefully not a bar this time.

"At the frat house," he replied without a thought and unaware of my worries, "tell me about your day. What have you been up to?"

"Well I had lunch with this wonderful family and then took a walk around the beach. Just had a confusing chat with Ella before you called." I filled him in as he listened quietly.

"Why do I have a feeling that the family wasn't wonderful at all?" He asked over the line.

"Because it wasn't. It was a mess!" I groaned as I heard him chuckle on the line. "I really miss you." I told him after a moment.

"I miss you more," he replied quietly.

"You must be exhausted," I worried over the line as I heard him breathe heavily over the phone, "wanna rest?"

"Pretty much all I have planned after this phone call." He told me, "take care of yourself okay?" He urged and I found myself nodding, forgetting that I was on the phone.

"Yeah, I will. You too."I replied.

"I have a secret you need to know," he said and I smiled as I imagined him smiling at my curiosity.

"Tell me," I played along knowing full well he was delaying his next words just to annoy me and ruffle my feathers just for a while.

"I love you." He stated before the line went dead and I was left to stare at the phone like I was insane.

The guy said he loved me, right?

Right!

*****
Thanks for the read....

A new update, boom! Haha.
I'm getting better according to my doctors so I'll be up and kicking in no time... I'm so happy.

I write this two Sundays ago but couldn't bring myself to proofreading it up until today so yeah, sorry.

Please vote comment and share.

Stay safe always.

Love, Eline.