58

*****Lisa Michaels*****
Dave walked out first and I followed behind.

"I wish I could kill your dad," a tall elegant lady standing by the door announced and threw her purse on the sofa before turning to Dave.

"What did he do?" Dave asked as if the question had been overused between the two of them and turned to pull me forward so that the lady could see me.

"Oh! Hey," she said a little flushed and looking as if she was embarrassed to not have noticed me before, "I'm Grace." She stuck out her hand for me to shake.

"Lisa," I told her with a polite smile.

"Back to the point," she announced walking over to the small bar area just a few feet away from the lounge area. "Why do I have to go to Spain?" She glared at Dave while pouring herself a glass of whiskey.

"Did you ask him?" Dave asked pulling me with him to take a seat on the couch as he watched Grace.

"Yes," she said hissing from the gulp she'd taken and walking over to sit on the couch beside us. "He said if I didn't like the idea I was free to quit."

"I'll talk to him," he promised quietly and Grace beamed at him for only a second.

"It's only a week till Christmas," Grace observed making a funny sound as she downed her glass, " are we still going to the ranch?"

"I'm not sure," Dave answered and stood up, taking the glass from her.

"She's pretty," she said and closed her eyes. Was she drank that quickly? "I see why you-"

"Do you want to sleep this off?" Dave asked quickly as he shot her a subtle glare that I could have missed if I wasn't so invested in their conversation.

"You don't want her to know you like her?" Dave's face went pale as he turned to shake his head at me while  scratching the back of his head. "I could like her too but she makes you sa-"

"Grace!" Dave cried in embarrassment and Grace laughed absently before trying to stand up and failing.

"You can break his heart all you want," she said pointing at me, "he just shouted at me." She whimpered with a childish pout and I laughed.

"Can I have more?" She asked turning to Dave who rose a single eyebrow.  "Fine!" She huffed. "Be like that." Sticking out her tongue, she staggered her way up the stairs before I heard a door close.

"Sorry," Dave said looking anywhere but at me before he walked away with the glass in his hands.

There was a moment when the smile on my face slipped off once I thought back to Grace's words. Dave liked me. I didn't want to be stringing him along.

Did he think-?

"Soryy about her," he rushed out breathlessly and I tried my absolute best not to laugh. It was one of the very few times I'd seen him conflicted and flustered. It was kinda cute, "I-"

His front door burst open before he could say anything and a tall guy walked in.

His green eyes searched the vicinity before a slow smile pulled up on his lips.

"Hi?" He directed the greeting to me before turning to Dave with a small smile and a squint to the eyes. "Is Grace here?"

"Upstairs," Dave answered and turned to me with a small smile. "She's a little drunk though."

"Graaaaaace?" The guy called loudly rushing up the stairs.  A door opened before a muffled scream came out.

Alarmed, I turned to Dave who sat still with a smile on his face.