Epilogue

***** Dave Morgan *****
In the five years I'd spent with Lisa I still did not understand how loving someone made you want to do the most contrasting things ever.

When she smiled at something Grace whispered in her ear and touched her tummy gently, I found myself smiling but an image of one of our worst fights came to mind as the smile slowly died.

We'd been on a trip to Bordeaux, France when she brought up a comment on my Instagram story from a model who'd been sited as a better match for me during our first couple months in the relationship.

When I tried to explain that I wasn't interested in any form and that I'd make sure to control the comments as much as I could, she accused me of lying.

The arguement just ran on until we settled in our hotel room and none of us spoke to the other for hours.

She'd cried in the shower stall that night and only realized a week later that she was pregnant.

That gave me mixed emotions.  On one part, I was ecstatic that she had a mini-me growing inside of her but I felt almost pensive when I thought of her own life.

She'd only started her career a year before and she was so happy about it that I was so mad that we couldn't have waited at least two years before planning for a family. I was worried that a baby would complicate her life more than mine. But then she smiled and said it had to be one of the best day ever and all I could do was smile back and let her know I was going to help throughout the journey.

My mixed reaction was a whole new height to climb all together but we managed to settle things and work on it.

"She looks gorgeous," my mom whispered from beside me and I smiled, nodding because it was true.

Her pregnancy glow was making it hard for anyone to look away.

"She's a little worried about delivery." I told my mom.

"Just be there for her and I will try to talk to her as well. She shouldn't be worried. Child birth is different for everyone." With a peck on my cheek, my mom walked off to talk to Nick's mom and I was left staring at Lisa once again.

Harris would be on his way soon with his son Leo. Single parenting had taken a toll on him but he wouldn't admit it.

"He's here." Nick whispered next to me and I nodded.

Walking to Lisa, I put my hands around her waist and she turned, slapping my hand away before fixing my collar with a small smile.

I couldn't get enough of her even if I tried.

"Do you want a drink?" She asked, looking for a waitress to flag down.

"Honey," I stopped her with a small tug to her arm, "you need to relax and let others do the work. If I wanted a drink I wouldn't make you get it."

"I feel so anxious." She mumbled and I couldn't help the jolt of admiration that surged through me.

"There's no need. I'll be right here." I kissed the top of her head and she sighed. "I have a surprise for you."

"I do not want to go into labor yet," she gave me a stern look and I smiled. "Better be good." She huffed and followed me to the patio when I tagged her hand.

"I just want you to know that you're an amazing human and you deserve all the happiness in the world." I told her and she stuck her tongue out.

"We're already engaged." She rose her left hand to show me her diamond ring. "And we better get married right after I give birth. I hear the pain is enough to make one go insane."

"We could get married now," I offered and she narrowed her eyes at me. "We will get a dress big enough to cover your bump."

"If I had the energy I would have punched you right in the face." Her threat made me laugh hard enough to make my ribs hurt but I stopped when she slapped the back of my head. "What's the surprise?" She prompted impatiently.

Oh!

I turned behind me and watched the tall figure approach the patio doors before turning to Lisa.

"I'll be right here if you need me." I told her just as he rose his hand to tap her shoulder.

"Hey?" He greeted breathlessly with a teary smile and Lisa turned with a look of shock, assessing him without a word.

She stood there and seemed to be frozen for a while before she turned to me and then back to him. When her head finally cleared, her hand went to cover her mouth as a soft sob left her and then more started coming as she rose to her toes to reach and hug him.

Ray hesitated for a moment, looking worried to hurt her, but his emotions got the best of him as he wrapped his hands around her shaking shoulders and leaning down a little to accommodate her height.

"Oh my goodness!" Lisa cried and stepped back, looking at the man before her before turning to me. "He's real." She cried out in shock and I gave her a soft smile as if to encourage her to interact with him. "I've missed you so much." she cried once more and wrapped her hands around his torso.

"I've missed you too." He replied, his voice hoarse and strained from all the emotions he tried to withhold within him. "You've grown so big." He whispered as if the thought had not occured to him. "And you're pregnant." He added softly as if proud of her.

"It's his fault." She whispered as she pointed to me and I looked at Ray who gave me a smile before turning to her.

"Well atleast he's rich." He joked and we all laughed.

Deciding to give them some privacy, I excused myself and walked back into the house where everyone watched the two from a distance.

"Look at you making your wife happy." Nick said from behind me and I smiled as I turned to him.

"She deserves it." I told him, turning to see her laughing at something Ray had said.

"She does," he agreed quietly and we both remained silent for a moment.  "Have you found out the gender?"

"We want it to be a surprise."

"Look at what a surprise you turned out to be. " my father interrupted and Nick laughed before walking away.

"You're the one who made me." I gave him a stern look and he laughed.

"I'm sure there's nowhere else in the world where a father has this type of conversation with his son. I hope he grows to be a little menace like you."

"I'm the least problematic person in your life." I argued, watching Nick and grace argue over something.

"Want to run that through?" He challenged.

"I'd rather not." I told him before turning to watch Lisa and Ray talk. "She'll be alright?" I asked my dad and he chuckled before giving me a nod.

"There were no complications with the pregnancy so I'm sure she'll be fine. You should have seen the trouble your mother went through with all the blood pressure issues she had with you." He said, turning to search for his wife in the small crowd of family and friends.  "Where is Harris?"

"He said he'd be late." I told him, checking my phone for any updates. "I think he ran into trouble with Leo."

"I should pick the boy and stay with him for a while. Relieve his father a little of the stress."

"I don't think you're responsible enough." Laughing at my retort, he slapped my back and walked away.

"You made him happy," Lisa said from beside me and I jumped a little at the scare she gave me.

Turning to face her, I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and smiled.

"Are you okay?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah. Thank you for bringing him." She replied before hugging me, her hands tightening around my waist.

"Anything for you." I kissed the top of her head and ran my fingers through her hair. "I love you."

"I love you more." She whispered.

The end...