Chapter 10 - Julian's POV

«La pire saloperie que puisse vous faire un cauchemar, c'est de vous donner l'illusion de sa propre conscience et de continuer à en être un !» -Daniel Pennac.

«The worst thing a nightmare can do to you is giving you the illusion of your consciousness and continue to be one of them.»
~~~

"Julian..."

I looked around, searching for the pale soft voice, confused, scared, and blinded by the darkness surrounding me.

"Julian..."

My chest was twisted, My hands and feet cold. I was naked and barefoot, running in the sand. Waves were crashing on the shore, the ocean was groaning in my ears, but only darkness was present. Voices were screaming inside my head. I dropped on my knee, scratching my face, pulling my hair.  They were so loud and sepulchrally deep.

"Leave me alone!"

My scream provoked a deadly silence. What was happening? I opened my eyes, frightened. A dirty tortuous staircase appeared in the center of a clammy and intensely cold mist. A strident screech from the stairs pierced the darkness. I immediately recognized the voice begging for me.

"Amara?" I screamed from the top of my lung.

I ran into the stairs that brought me to nowhere. I was climbing to an infinite, disgustingly clammy mist. Every step seemed to take a thousand years to achieve. And in a shift of reality, I was in a living room, my living room. I was kneeling, blood on my hands, tears rolling down my cheeks. The screaming hasn't stopped, but I couldn't find Amara. Where is she? I tried to get up, but my feet were chained. Silence reigned one more time with me panting on the floor, bloody. Steps were approaching. A child, a girl, and a guy stood up in front of me.

Amara, Xemina, and Jake.

"No..."

A crooked and mischievous smile was painted on their faces. They were strolling towards me. Blood was coming out of Jake's mouth, flooding the living room. They were chanting my name. I was begging for them to stop. I couldn't escape as they kept coming closer and closer.

"Julian..."

"Julian..."

"Julian..."

"Julian!"

I woke up soaking in sweat with a concerned Kelly shaking me.

"You scared me. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"Julian, you have these nightmares constantly since you are back. I'm concerned."

I got off the bed, grabbed my clothes on the floor, and went to the bathroom. I washed my face. The water's contact with my skin was refreshing. I stared at my reflection for a minute. Life has become more difficult days after days. I lost control of everything. I couldn't regulate my thoughts. The nightly nightmares were tiring. But I didn't have time to let any of this knock me over.

I dressed up and left Kelly's dorm before asking further questions, and I knew she would not give up until she knew what was happening. I found her sometimes annoying, but she was a great sex partner. I put my AirPods on and head to my cabin. It's been less than three weeks since Xemina pulled that disgusting pranks on me, despite all the professional cleaning and replacing all my furniture. I can still smell the stench of this place. I took a shower and changed my clothes for something more casual.