Chapter 13

I opened one eye, looking for my phone vibrating under my back.

Fifty-six notifications: 13 missed calls and six messages from Xavier, 5 missed calls from Marc. The rest was from social media notifications. I put the phone down, yawning and stretching. My heart skipped and beat, my eye opened wide! It's 11:43 am! I missed my morning classes!

I got up to quickly, provoking back my headache and dizziness. Bile started to pile on my mouth, the burn of the alcohol in my stomach rising. I ran upstairs to the bathroom and head into the toilet bowl. I threw up all my stomach contents, mainly wine and soup, since I didn't eat anything yesterday.

I flushed and laid down on the floor.

Achoo!

"Oh, for fuck sake! my head!"

I got up and opened the cabinet to find some Tylenol. I was tired of this headache. Thankfully I had no more fever but still sensitive to light.

My cheeks were red, dark circles under my eyes, the red dye started to wear off. I looked like I went into six rounds with three BBC's— no comments in that. If dad only could see me like that, he would have screamed. He always wanted me to look my best and beautiful. As he always said, I was his daughter, and I needed to show my beauty to the world. God knows how much I missed him.

While brushing my teeth, someone knocked at the door. I finished rapidly and headed over to the living room. I threw the wine bottle under the couch. No one needs to know about that.

"Mrs. Vermont! Good afternoon!"

"Good afternoon, Ms. Royale. I was checking with you to see if everything was okay. You missed three classes this morning, and we were worried."

"Oh, I felt sick last night and overslept, but I am feeling great this morning, do not worry. I will catch up with the works." I smiled grandly.

"Perfect then, please, if you feeling sick, go to the infirmary so we can know about it. Your health is our top priority, Ms. Royale."

"I will keep that in mind."

She left, and I got ready for my last two classes. Hungover, sick or not, I need to get my shit together. I wasn't in the mood to dress up, so I wore matching grey sweatpants with Adidas Yeezy Boost.
The cold breeze hit me on the face. I ran back inside to wear my puffy white jacket with my dark shade.

_________

I was almost the last class of the day. I sat down in the front, waiting for the teacher to show up. I felt someone sat down next to me. It was Thea. I looked around to see why the hell she chose to sit next to me. She was late; there was no other seat available.

Great.

She wasn't making eye contact and keep her nose in her notebook. I moved my stuff away from her and paid attention to the teacher walking in. The hour passed without us saying a word to each other. When the clock rang, I was the first one out without looking back. I spotted Julian with Kelly in the hallway making out. We made eye contact, and I walked to the courtyard. My phone vibrated, Nick texted me.

"It's ready. Meet me behind the PF building."

A smile formed on my face. I gazed at the courtyard to see if anyone was following me and walked to the PF building. If I had the energy to run, I would've, but I am still feeling nauseous. I sneezed all day.

Here was Nick waiting for me with a laptop in his hand.

"What do you got for me?" I hugged him.

"I don't like this. I feel like I am dealing drugs or something illegal." He quacked, adjusting himself uncomfortably.

"You are the one who called me here when we could have met at your place."

"Yes, but after what happened, I am scared Julian is going to send more of his friends to beat me up."

"That will not happen again."

He gave me the laptop hesitantly.

"Are you sure it's a good idea, Xemina? This whole thing feels wrong."

"There is nothing wrong with that. I am just curious."

"Yes, but hacking into your competitor's corporation for information. That could cause a lot of damage in both parties."

"Not if you don't shut up about it." I shushed him. "And after all, Julian knows about it already."

"That's exactly my point. He knows what you are doing and didn't stop you. Don't you think he let you go too easy?"

Nick was right. Julian letting me go effortlessly was suspicious as if he wanted me to found out more. Two nights earlier, what he told me was scary, but I was determined to find out that secret no matter what the consequences because it is eating me inside.

"Whatever, we will see what he decides to do, but I will be ready for him" I maniacally smiled, pointing at the laptop.

I thanked Nick one last time before we went our separate way.

Here I was, sitting in my living room in front of this computer, frozen. The desire to open this laptop and searched for the answers to all my questions was consuming me. But my conscience was arguing the contrary with me. What if Julian was waiting for me to get the laptop so he could accuse me of fraud? But also, I could get back at him by throwing what was in the computer into his face? If the media, Mark, and Mother found out, I did this. Will they revoke me as the heiress and never be the Chief Executive Officer of Royale's Inc? That could bring lawsuits, going to courts, paying fines, even jail. I will lose the dearest thing to my father, and I will fail.

I carefully opened it, the logo of the De Elvero's appeared. I quickly closed it. That was wrong. I shouldn't be doing that. But Julian doesn't know if Nick gave me the laptop yet. I had the time to ring out what I wanted.

I grabbed my phone and headed out. I needed air. I needed to think of what I was doing and make the right decision. I didn't have the heart to be mischievous, to commit fraud or a felony. I wasn't my mom. I guess that is why I never had what I wanted. I wasn't her.
~~~~~

Please don't forget to vote :)