Chapter 64

«Le visage d'un amant est un inconnu, précisément parce qu'il est investi de tant de soi. C'est un mystère, contenant, comme tous les mystères, la possibilité du tourment.»

«The face of a lover is an unknown, precisely because it is invested with so much of oneself. It is a mystery, containing, like all mysteries, the possibility of torment.»
~~~~~

New York. The city that never sleeps. The city of dreams, so poetic yet chaotic. The peaceful morning rises, the streets slowly jamming with pedestrians. Each individual had their own story, their own happiness, flaw, envy, heart, and perspective. How crazy we were, the same species, but so different. The tall burner, jogging across the streets on his green track shorts to the man standing on the crosswalk with his brown suitcase and black coat, talking aggressively on the phone. The homeless man crunched on the pile of journals in front of the florist store, shaking the few coins on his beaten aluminum goblet, begging for a dollar from the other passant. They ignored him, his hope to eat something today shattering.

"Amor, we're here."

The car stopped in front of a typical New York office building. My heartbeat sped up at every step inside. They beautifully decorated the reception with a blue and white tone; Mr. Davis had a taste. He didn't make us wait long and called us to his office. He was smiling a lot and joyfully greeted us.

"How are you guys doing?"

He asked while we sat down. His office was neat and comfortably decorated with a gray, modern theme. Not my ideal office for a lawyer, but it was okay.

"We're doing great," Julian responded, while all I could do was smile.

"I won't waste your time and get to the subject." He addressed me. "The hearing was two days ago, and you won't get a result until for a few weeks. However, I am certain everything went in our favor. You did great with the tape. The judge listened to it very clear. He heard you."

"That's good to hear." I scoffed.

"You should also know that Mark lied."

"What do you mean?" I frowned.

"In the letter, he said he was ready to step down as your conservator. His presence in court argued that statement. He defended himself and why he should stay as your conservator."

"That's absurd." I almost yelled.

"He changed his mind," Julian spoke. "He realized if he let you go, it won't be good for him."

"We knew he would do this, so we strengthened our assertion. He labeled you as incompetent, but we had more proof for the judge that he was the one with incompetence. With those investigations and lawsuits, he is just digging his hole."

"What about the other investigations? What is going on?" I asked.

Mr. Davis's jaw clenched. He leaned forward and interlaced his fingers.

"Any information about the cases is confidential. I don't know about the cases."

Julian pulled his chair closer, copying his body movements, asserting his dominance.

"Lawyers are good liars, but I am from a business family, Davis. You're working with Harrington and Johnson. You know what's going on."

"It will stay confidential with us. I need to know what is going on. I have been in the dark for too long. I deserve it." I said.

He hesitated for a moment, thought about it for a few seconds, then sighed.

"Unfortunately, the case has become more complex and a federal matter."