Chapter 31

«La mort ne surprend point le sage: il est toujours prêt à partir. »

«Death never takes the wise man by surprise: he is always ready to go.»
༒༒༒

(I suggest reading this chapter with the music on for more sadness.☹︎)

Four years ago, one of the most horrible things occurred. On this day, December twenty-four, on the eve of the birth of Jesus Christ, a prince, it was also the day I lost my king.

I would never forget that day, the day he left me in this dark and sorrowful world. The day my clock started counting backward. The day felt cursed. I was just a child, and he left me alone.

When the clock stroked nine o'clock, the cloudy night drizzled. The snow was glowing from the rays of the street lights—so many people running around, excited about the Christmas spirit, late for their Christmas purchases. Families were pacing down the street admiring New York's beautiful Christmas spirit. That night dad chose my outfit. He wanted us to do the last Christmas shopping together. So he pulled off the best disguise he could so no one recognized us. His hands firmly holding mine, we rambled down the streets, looking for toys while the black bodyguard car chased us up close. His assistant, Maddie, was with us. I loved her; she was intelligent and funny. She loved to babysit me.

As the family of four was leaving this little store, the mom was carrying a baby while the dad was holding a bag and the hand of a little girl; they were laughing and smiling. Whatever they found in the store must have been pleasing. I shook dad's hand and pointed at the store.

"Dad! Let's go there! They probably have cupcakes!"

"Xemina, the car is full. You brought so many things. Are you sure you want more?" He checked his phone quickly, put it in his pocket, and adjusted his cap.

"Please!!!" I pleaded.

"Okay, okay!" He smiled.

It wasn't a genuine smile; It was forced. I could see the sadness and stress he hid behind it. His wife abandoned him, he drowned in his work, he had enemies, and he never rested. He only smiled to comfort me, but I knew he wasn't doing great. He kept himself clean and proper so the world didn't see him sinking.

When we entered the store, Maddie and I started buying cupcakes with different kinds of toppings. I was jumping everywhere. It was paradise. I turned around to find my father, he was on the phone and talking to one of the bodyguards who stayed at the door. His expression was exceedingly anxious. He called on Maddie, and he told her something. She shook her head affirmatively, looked at me, and both approached me. My dad squatted at my level and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Sweetheart, I wish I could stay with you longer, but I have a call, and I need to go to the office."

"But you are not working tonight." I sadly said.

"I know, but something came up. I need to meet someone. After you finished shopping, Maddie will drop you at the office, and then we will go home together, okay?"

"Okay!" I smiled.

"I love you and behave. Don't take off your cap, so no one recognizes you, deal?"