Ch25: The Fiesty

Author's pov
After 5 years...

She pedalled the bicycle as fast as she could. "Ruk! Dheere chala Bondita" her friend yelled.

"Late ho gaya hain! Ma'am ko farewell dena hain" she yelled while riding at a full speed.

She rang the bell, "samne se hato!" and continued to pedal at full speed.

The girl wore a woollen cap and a coat over her shirt and skirt. The long straight hair curled at the ends.

"Hato hato!" She yelled as the cycle ran down the bridge at full speed. People started running aside.

She stopped at a flowers shop where a woman was waiting with a bouquet. She took it from her in a hurry, "Thanks Mrs. D'cousta " she said and rode her cycle away again at a full speed, placing the bouquet in the basket.

Her cycle stopped at the college premises. She almost threw it away instead of parking and ran inside in hurry. "Ma'am!"

An old lady, her English professor was retiring. She came breathlessly to her and handed her the bouquet, "I am sorry ma'am" and she hugged her.

"My child, Bon-dee-tta don't say sorry" the old lady patted her head. "We will miss you," she said with a puppy face.
"I will miss all of you too".

Then she went away, a British boy and his gang called out, "Indians are always late". He was Robert of a rival gang who passes racist comments and always fights with her. When she was new here, he used to bully others, ragging type. She fought bravely against it and from that day the institution was divided into two different groups. One Bondita's and other Robert's group, the rivals.

Putting on a wide smile she went to him" o gaddhe".

"What did she just say?" asked Robert to other students as he didn't know Hindi neither did his friends.

"She called you friend," said Ishita.

"You dark-skinned people, I don't wanna be your friend," he said rudely.

"Tuney shakkal dekha hain, humare waha 7 din pehele maara huya murda barf mein aisa dikhta hain, Sweet generous Robert" she said with a smile again.

This time Robert thought she was praising her, "I am leaving" he said.

"Bye bye, narak k aag mein jal ke maare tu, bye handsome" she pretended to praise him.

Her friends started laughing. "Has maat Ishu, kal pati babu ayenge aur mein chahata hu ki unhe lagey mein shant, namr, pyari si ladki hu naki laraku, mera impression best hona chahiye" she said while they walked towards their hostel.

Bondita's pov
I looked at myself once again. Mein acchi to dikh rahi hu na?

No matter how much I tried to forget him but I was unable to. I love him, still do and after living away from him, I love him more now.

Everybody sees this fiesty, cheerful Bondita but nobody but me knows the pain hidden behind the happy mast. The heart that was once broken, is taped together now and may break any second.

Love has given me pain, only bane and nothing else. Love made me an insomniac. (Inability to sleep at night).

I loved him and love landed me in a dreadful situation with a psyco and that incident still haunts me at night.

I loved him and that is why he married Manorama ji, hurt me every minute, insulted me and broke me.

I loved him and that is why I am here.

I hate the word love but I just pretend
Actually I still love him, just show others that I don't believe in love.

Suddenly Ishita shouted, "tu ro rahi hain !"