Ch58: Old Scar

Anirudh's pov
After a journey of 9 days from Tulsipur I finally reached Siliguri(Siliguri is the only city of Northeast Bengal so all kinds of transportation are available here but not in other places of Darjeeling). I know Bondita asked me to call her once I reach Siliguri but due to a storm that had taken place a few days back, all telephone connections were shut down. I can call her once I reach Gangtok, not before that. I waited for the car to take me to our Bungalow that baba had bought. From there I will go to meet Sir Francis on Thursday.

I can't explain how badly I wanted to hear her voice calling me pati babu. I opened my wallet and smiled, looking at my 12-year-old little Bondita.

Bondita's pov
It has been 9 days and I had told him so many times to call me but it seems like he has forgotten. He has no idea what I am going through. A person should be this much responsible to his wife but no...pati babu doesn't care at all.

I think I am overthinking a lot nowadays.

I was moving to and fro in the study, waiting eagerly for one call. Why was he not calling me? Is he fine? Is he alright?

"Bahu rani ji" Bhari kaka interrupted my thought. He was standing near the door with a duster and a broom, "apne bulaya tha?"

"Ha wo study saaf karna hain" I took the piece of cloth from him, "ap wo kona saaf kar dijiye, mein ya saf kar deti hu".

Author's pov
Bondita started to pick up all the books lying on the table and started to dust them, "pati babu bilkul saf safai nehi karte, saare kitab faila k rakhte hain". She climbed on a stool and again started to complain while keeping the books in alignment, "sab mujhe hi karna parta hain".

"Ek baat kahe Bahu rani ji" said Bihari who was sweeping the floor, "humare Barrister babu vivah se pehele aise nehi the, khud apne kitabo ko sambhal k rakhte the. Kisiko hath bhi nehi lagane dete the, ap aye aur pura insaan hi badal gaya".

Bondita giggled and moved towards an old drawer which was remained untouched for many years. Bondita opened it while talking to Bihari, "jante of Bhari ka....." A sudden silence prevailed in the room.

While cleaning the drawer Bondita found some old photographs of her childhood. She picked up the bundled old pictures from the drawer and a subtle warm smile crept on her face.
Fresh old memories seemed to peep in her mind. Each picture had hidden emotions in them. Bondita started to go through each and every picture with a pleasant smile like early summer unless she stopped at one particular picture.

Her smile slowly faded away and the word she uttered even made Bihari cautious.

"Choti patni..."

There was this picture that she was holding of Anirudh and Manorama performing some post-marriage ritual. Her most painful and harsh memories were in front of her eyes.
But those old scars are best left alone, to heal them after you've opened them up. These painful memories, they're just the same as nightmares.

Bihari, who was looking at her saw her holding her head. She was about to fall when Bihari held her by her Shoulder, "ap thik hain?"

"Ha bass thori chakkar a rahe the, mein kamre mein ja rahi hu" saying this she took slow steps to her room with the photograph.

Batuk's pov
As soon as I knocked at her door, she hid something in her blanket, perhaps some photos at which she was looking with interest. "Suna tumhari tabiyat thik nehi" I sat in front of her.

"Ha wo chakkar a gye the" she said softly, "accha Batuk tumhare dada ka phone aya?"

"Arrey wo bolne hi to aya tha, Gangtok k bungalow mein phone karke pata chala Dada aj subah hi pohoch gye".