Ch62: Caught at the wrong time

Batuk's pov
When Baba broke the news of Som Dada's marriage, we all were so elated. I Hope Bondita was here too then she would have been so happy. This marriage was some kind of business deal as per Baba for our alcohol factory. She is a British official's daughter so in this way Baba will be on good terms with the Britishers but kaka wasn't happy. For him, nobody could be as perfect as Bondita on top of that British girl was a big no from his side.

I teased Som dada, "wah dada abh choti Boudi ayegi ghar pe" while he blushed.

"Shadi se zyada business deal hain ye" said Binoy, "unse rishta karne se humare factory ko fayda hoga".

"ha par isaaa k ghar mein hi rishta kyu?" kaka made faces at this. "Da ladki to Bangali Bramhin hi hain" baba assured him.

"Baba naam kya hain unki" I asked excitedly.

"Priyam"

This name, hearing which I choke the water that I was drinking and spat it all over. I started to cough hearing this...

Priyam??? That chorni??

Why is my life revolving around all the girls who in turn becomes my boudi...

I was determined that last time Boudi dost bani isbar mujhe dost ko boudi nehi bana na.

"Wo acchi ladki nehi hain kaka" I said immediately which only kaka could hear. "kaka socho wo christian hain, kya wo Bondita ki tarha ban paygi? Nehi na".

" Par abhi to Binoy ne kaha Hindu hain," said Kaka to which I made it very clear to him, "Ha par bari hui hain Christian parivaar mein hi na, kaha apke reet rasam ko samajh paygi"

I don't believe in all these religions and all but I don't want her to marry Som dada. I was not being mean towards my brother because he doesn't even know her. Not that he loves her. I don't know why but I just don't want her to marry my dada.

"Aj unke ghar pe ball hain, Som tum jaoge aur ussey jaan pehechan kar lena" said Baba all of a sudden. I couldn't control my tongue and blurted out, "mein bhi aunga!" All stared at me for a while for such behaviour and I realized I have messed up.

"Tumhe kyu jana hain?" asked Baba with a suspicious look on his face. "Bass man kiya isiliye," I said and went to my room to stop further questions.

And finally, the night arrived when we both the brothers reached her mansion. Kaka and Baba said that they will be joining us later. Som dada was all dressed up to impress her and I can understand that but why was I so concerned about what I was wearing. Before entering I looked at my shoes and made sure that they are polished. The hall was filled mostly with British officials and their families. "Accha huya tu aya Batuk" Som Dada whispered to my ears, "Dada atein to abh tak koi na koi tamasha khara kar dete wo aur Bondita."

"Ha" I agreed, "pata nehi undono ko party se allergy hain shayad! aj tak koi bhi party ya utsav sahi se nehi huya humare gharpe, wo dono kuch na kuch karte hi rehete hain... mujhe to ye samajh nehi ata un dono ko har kalesh hazar logo k samne hi dikhane ka itna kya shok hain".

Dada chuckled, " mujhse puch! un dono k hotey huye mein to shadi bhi na karu us ghar se"

While we were talking, Priyam came along with her father. Her father welcomed us and also made us acquainted with to rest of the guests after all Som dada is his would-be son-in-law. But the thing that irked me was why didn't she tell me before. She should have !!