9. doesn't deserve them

As I walk around the hood of the car, I remind Alex, "Be careful." As I tuck my keys into my back pocket, my gaze is drawn to the house, which is filled with loud music and bright lights that shine through the doors and windows. The front yard is littered with cups and bottles while college students converse and make out around the porch and roofs. How did they get there? I'm not sure, but it's not the first time I've seen it.

"Be careful," she murmurs as I stand next to her. I notice her worriedly look around the house and sometimes frowning at certain parts of it which I know are the half naked couples. She takes a deep breath and then gives me a tentative smile. "I haven't been to one in a while."

"Me, too," I admit sheepishly, recognising we're in the same boat. Though it is just a party, we are both afraid and reluctant to step through the doors because what happens inside could corrupt an innocent person's mind. If you're not cautious, it'll be toxic and unhealthy, which is why I stopped doing it.

"Let's find you Eric," I put an arm around her and begin walking us to the house.

We walk through the packed halls and rooms of the house, seeing a number of familiar faces from various majors. As I walk by, a few of them greet me by nodding or waving, and I politely respond with a smile before secretly rolling my eyes as I look ahead.

The space has a strong odour of alcohol and weed, indicating that people are probably doing one or both. There could be a couple dry humping each other on the walls or a group of people drowning drinks and yelling "shots, shots, shots" everywhere you look. While the remainder of the party were students who only wanted to get away from their studies and have a good time.

I turn to face Alex, who is startled to be looking around the room. Her expression is mixed with several feelings that I can't point out but I do know she's slowly easing into the party by the way her shoulders lose their tension.

"Look," I nudge my head to Eric who is standing near the back of the house with Aaron and Sofie. Alex takes a while to notice as drunk and fazed people whizz by, making it difficult to see what's in front of you. Once she gets on her tippy toes, she smiles and she looks at me excitingly.

When we approach them, Eric beams and says, "Alex." He throws an arm over her shoulder, pulling her very close to his side. Her unease fades quickly, and she seems calm and secure in his embrace, which makes me smile. When Aaron and Sofie turn to face me after welcoming Alex, their jaws drop.

"What?" I stand beside them, mindful of the few whispers and glares from the nearby crowd. Despite the fact that I know they're as surprised as Aaron and Sofie, I ignore their enquiring gazes because it's none of their business.

"You decided to come?" Sofie smirk widens into a smile. She looks over my outfit, nodding to herself as she's agreeing to the clothes I chose. She wraps an arm Aaron's waist as I step closer into the group.

"Well," I sigh, unsure why I came other than to bring Alex. I'm not sure if I was curious or just wanted to get out of my comfort zone again, but I had no excuse to come. I look around and meet a few people's gazes; I wave to them with a smile, and they either happily greet me with the biggest grin or gape at me as if they can't believe the Ellie Miller is at a party again.

"They act as if I'm a celebrity," I frown, turning my attention back to the group.

"I mean you kind of are," Sofie shrugs, tilting her red cup in her hand.

"No I'm not," I roll my eyes, drawing my attention around the room again.

"You do work in a business that's popular worldwide."

"That doesn't mean they have to look at me as if I'm Kendall Jenner. I'm only an assistant not the CEO of the company."

This is one of the reasons I despise going to parties and school in general. The publicity I would get before the job was enough but after I would be mentioned by Russo on various magazines and interviews, some people don't know how to behave around me.