29. I lied

"I cheated on you with Cassidy"

My breath hitches as I shift my attention to the floor, shaking my head at the disappointment I feel for both Aaron and Cassidy. I sense everyone tensing around me, stuck in their positions as they look in between them. I slowly tilt my head, my eyes opening to the scene in front of me, and I instantly regret it because what I see is the truth.

"You did what?" My focus is drawn to Jae, who displays a wide spectrum of emotions, the most prominent of which are betrayal and hurt. As he backs up from his position, fearful of the tense environment, my stomach twists and my heart stops for him. As he frantically looks at Aaron, then Cassidy, who holds her head low, his brows furrow, his body turns away, his shoulders tenses, and a frown is permanently drawn on his face.

As Malcom puts a hand on my shoulder and looks at me with concern, I swallow my guilt and frustration and turn my attention to Jae, who seems heartbroken and lost.

"Jae don't lis-"

"Cassidy, you-you cheated..." My heart breaks, and I close my eyes again, bending my head to the floor, unable to bear the agony Cassidy is inflicting.

When Theo notices Jae's fear in his eyes, his breath quickening, and his frantic looks all over the room, he whispers, "JaeJae." When I look at Theo's green eyes and see the glimmer of concern in his green eyes, my heart sinks even more.

"I-I need-" he stammers back as I feel Malcom grab my arm and take a step forward to Jae, but it's too late as he pushes his way through the crowds, desperate to get out of here.

"You're getting worse and worse," I murmur, shaking my head at Cassidy, who looks at Aaron and the rest of us puzzled.

"You can't say anything, Ellie, this is none of your business," she says, but I roll my eyes.

"You fucking hurt him," I say, squinting my eyes in disgust as I watch her adopt a blank face and show no regret for him. "He loves you."

"I don't love him," she says, causing Malcom and me to take a step back as she examines Aaron. My attention is drawn to him, and he has a guilty expression on his face as he tries to turn away from Sofie.

"Unbelievable," I scoff as I watch Aaron and Cassidy exchange lustful glances while Sofie cowers behind Alex and Eric. "You're the cruellest and most worthless bitch I've ever met, and I thought you had some decency, but what did I expect?"

"You wanted the truth, so there you go," she says angrily, her arms spread wide in front of her, gesturing to the whole audience, her eyes darting back and forth from me to Aaron.

"You didn't tell the truth, and you ended up hurting him even more. Cassidy, you're supposed to fucking hurt me, not him!" I shout, prompting Malcom to pull me back as I fight back tears and remorse. "You've always been greedy and fake to the people around you; I'm glad everyone here is seeing the true part of yourself that I've always seen." I take a look at the crowded party, which is deafeningly quiet and listening intently to the drama that is engulfing them.

"Whatever," Cassidy mumbles as she turns around and moves through the groups as they make room for her. I sense Malcom pulling me to the side, but I quickly tune out the whispers and feelings that are coursing through my mind. My pulse quickens and my mouth becomes dry as I notice the many looks and potential thoughts of those around us.

"Ellie," Malcom says, his hands on my shoulders, jolting me out of my daze.

"I'm fine, Malcom," I said flatly, not wanting anyone to see my vulnerability. Malcom's penetrating blue eyes scrutinise my features, but when I meet his gaze, he nods, as if he understands the need to change the subject.