25. New York baby

After a long day at work, I stroll into our penthouse. When I see Malcom, Theo, Eric, and Jae seated around the dining table, I toss my keys to the side and come to a halt. Furrowing my brows as they rest peacefully on the table, I put my bag on the counter.

"Theo," Malcom says, but when he lets go, his head falls back down on the table with a big thud. "Why is everybody dead today?"

"What's going on?" I ask, cautiously approaching them because their moods, especially Theo's, are suspiciously low.

Malcom puts his hands on his hips and says, "I don't know. Ask them."

My gaze wanders over their slouching figures, but not a single one of them says something. I furrow my brows even more, perplexed by their mood swings.

"Aren't you guys supposed to be at practise? It's game day," I look at the clock and see that we only have an hour to get to campus.

Malcom claps and says, "I know." "That's why I wanted to meet everyone. Sofie and Alex are now on their way."

"Excuse me," Jae says as I watch him rise and walk to our house's balcony. Before Theo's groaning catches our attention, Malcom and I exchange confused looks.

"Are you all right?" Malcom questions once more, eliciting a louder groan from Theo. We all look at Eric, who is engrossed in his phone. As a grin creeps over his features, Malcom and I both roll our eyes, realizing he's texting Alex.

Theo sits up with a grin on his face and says, "Pfft." "I'm great, but how about you? Is Jae all right? Is Eric all right? Is it true that everyone is fine?" With his wide eyes and furrowed brows, he frantically looks in between me and Malcom.

"Because I'm not," he cries, falling backwards against the table and allowing another loud bang to reverberate.

"Your personality is naturally wild, so I don't think you're fine every single-," Eric says, but Malcom pinches his ear, interrupting him.

"I believe someone is having another Sofie Breakdown," Malcom says as he approaches me, arms extended. "Are you all right? Please be, as you seem to be the only normal person in the room."

"Hard day at work, but that's to be expected," I shrug, noting his relief.

"Thank the goddesses," he sighs, before surveying the various men in our home. "This aura bothers me, particularly that man's." Outside the balcony, he points to Jae's figure. Malcom raises his brows in response to rolling my eyes.

"No," I scoff as I watch Malcom's excitement wane.

"What are you talking about? What's to stop you?" He follows me into the kitchen and stands there watching me open a health bar.

"It's not my business," I say, shaking my head as I observe Jae's slumped shoulders from my vantage point.

"Ellie"

"Malcom, I don't give a fuck," I say, seeing the frown on his face. "Knowing how he is shouldn't be my responsibility." I take a bite out of my health bar, thinking Cassidy is the one who should be comforting him. I'm not going to waste my time on her because she's capable of doing the job she's done over the past three years. If she can keep a secret for so long, she should be able to look after her poor boyfriend.

"But I know you want to," Malcom says as I chuck the apple at him, making him squeal with annoyance. "You didn't have to do that, Bitch."