36. charms

"Ellie"

My mind and body were in a light sleep, so waking up was not difficult. I open my eyes and feel Jae's hand on my arm as he tries to wake me up. His hazel eyes, messy bed hair, and bar chest and abs under his zip-up sweater attract my attention right away.I furrow my brows as I glance out the balcony door, only to realize it's still dark outside, so I look at Jae, who has a warm smile on his face.

"Wear something warm," he says as he kisses my forehead and walks out of my room to his own. I slowly get out of bed, unsure of what lies ahead, given that he has a plan.

After the incident, I told Jae that he didn't have to stay with me at night, but he insisted on checking on me to make sure I was sleeping well and that my nightmares weren't bothering me as much when I awoke. The gesture causes my heart to flutter and a smile to appear on my lips, as this was the first night in a long time that I didn't have trouble sleeping, particularly when I was safe in his arms. My mind drifted to the reason for the nightmares despite the fact that I didn't have any nightmares.

I get out of bed and brush my teeth before changing into a basic hoodie and sweatpants set, along with my puffy bubble jacket, fuzzy socks, and Uggs, in the intention of going outside. I tuck my hair into my hood and take my phone outside my room, where I see Jae patiently waiting for me. When the silence in the cabin envelopes us except for the sounds of our feet creaking with each step, he smiles up at me as I furrow my brows.

"You have a habit of waking up early," I glare, but as I reach him, my lips tilt up into a smile. When I look at the clock above the fireplace, I find it's 5:30 a.m. and my mouth slightly opens.

"This could make up for it," he shrugs as he pulls my hood over my head and kisses my forehead. Until he pulls away, I close my eyes and enjoy the feeling of his warm touch against my skin. He says, "You need to close your eyes," and I lift an eyebrow, knowing I've heard this plenty of times.

Jae gently places a card in my hands after I close my eyes, making my heart race as I feel the familiar indents. Before slowly maneuvering us around, he comes around me and gently covers my eyes with his hands. My body was suddenly met with the sudden chill of the morning wind gently blowing around us until he slowed down at a spot. As he leads us outside the house to what I assume is the cottage's back porch, I can feel the snow and deck under my boots. He eventually comes to a halt, putting his hands on my shoulders, and I feel his minty, warm breath touch the side of my back as he exhales.

"You can open," he says softly, rubbing my arms for comfort. When I see the fire pit that lights up the dark sky, the hot chocolate and croissants steaming from their hot temperatures, and the neatly folded blankets on the outdoor furniture under the pergola, my lips turn into a smile. When I turn around, I see Jae's smile, but his eyes are a little anxious.

He leads us to the couch, where a pile of blankets is folded, and says, "I heard the sunrises are incredible here." He takes a seat in the corner and pulls me over to his side, draping the heated blanket around our bodies for added warmth. As he throws an arm over my back to draw me deeper into his embrace, I tuck my feet on the couch.

"When did you do this?" Once the sky turns a dark blue and purple ahead of us, I look around at the crackling fire and then to the open forest and mountains, which fills me with awe. When the sun rises behind the mountains, the rays glisten against the snow, making it sparkle all around us.

"Before I woke you up," he shrugs, and as I meet his gaze, his eyes light up, allowing me to see their deep greens and brows, his arm relaxingly rubbing my arm for more heat, his gentle touches on my hands to warm them up under the blanket, makes my heart skip a beat, as he does it with care and appreciation.