52. no surprise

"Thank you for the jet, Russo," I say as I set my phone on the dresser and hit the speaker, then go about my business in front of the mirror, putting on my jewelry.

Russo says over the phone, "It'll be waiting for you when you're ready to come home," the sound of papers rustling in the background showing he's busy at work. "This is really soon...aren't you going to be back with the team next week?" He asks, and I sigh as I finish my earrings before layering my necklaces.

"I have to come back at some point," I reason, my voice flat since I don't want to offer any clues as to why I'm mad. My gaze wanders over my face, the makeup failing to conceal the dullness of my eyes, the redness of my cheeks and nose, and my overall glum look. As my hands smooth down the wrinkles of my dress, I apply more lipgloss and double-check my outfit of a black fitted dress for the conference dinner tonight.

"You sound frustrated," he says and I stare at myself as if Russo were standing right in front of me, because his assumption is correct. I take a deep breath and put my heels on to give myself more time to respond.

"I'm just busy"

"Would now be a good time to bring up the proposal I sent you this morning?" His tone of interest peaked at the end of his speech, causing me to come to a halt. I straighten my back and look in the mirror, not giving it a second thought because I know I look good enough. As I walk to the window and look out into the fields and mountains, I take my phone and place it to my ear. "Did you happen to see it?"

"I might be ignoring it," I gaze into the distance, the sun setting on the horizon, casting orange and purple hues through Vancouver's landscapes.

"Have you considered it?" I can almost see his frail features lifting a brow to force me to make a decision. "It's time for me to retire, Ellie."

"Malcom can handle the job perfectly," I bite my tongue, aware of the hesitancy and slight lie in my suggestion, which Russo had picked up on. "I can't work abroad."

"While Malcolm works at the headquarters, here in Toronto, I need someone who has the ability to obtain more allies, trades, properties, real estate, and whatever else needed.  Our company is growing, and I am confident that you, Ellie Miller, will be able to successfully extend our businesses around the globe. Russo Inc. is developing new research and many opportunities for your generation, and I need someone in this current age to lead a company that has an impact on future generations."

"You know how to sell a product," I say as I fiddle with the hems of the curtains, tracing the floral threadings before closing them as night falls.

"Is that a yes? It would be an honor for you to replace me," He says, and my mind is flooded with options, making it difficult for me to see straight because there is so much going on. "What's holding you back?"

I shake my head, pacing back and forth while my shoes click against the hard wood floors. "I can't just leave my home," I say.

"Are you happy in Toronto?" As Russo questions, I close my eyes and take a deep breath, recognizing that I am not. It had far too many negative effects on my life, despite the fact that it was a place where I physically and emotionally grew up, and it's something I can't easily let go of. "I'm going to take your silence as a no."

"Is this Grandpa Russo or Russo Inc. speaking?" When I hear his fatherly chuckle echo in my ear, I lift a teasing brow and cross my arms, a small smile appears on my lips. He and Malcom have been my only family for the past few years, and I appreciate all they've done for me, but passing a company on to someone they only met three years ago is too much to offer.

"Both," I hear his laughter fade into silence, knowing he might have a serious expression on his face as he looks at his office walls. "You have the opportunity to travel wherever you want on the globe; after all, you are the boss.  I don't recommend dropping out of school, but you're already overstressed by doing both school and work. Being your own boss with one of the world's largest corporations already offers you a financial and social advantage in the future. You'd have complete control over your schedule, and who doesn't want that in Paris, France? After all, you did study French in high school, so why not put it to good use?" I can hear his tone of persuasion rising, making it impossible to resist as it sounds like my dream is coming true. It would be amazing to be able to get away from everything and just be by myself.