16. leave

I am not in the mood

I hurriedly walk through the athletic department, eager to finish the day. I walk past several interns and staff in the facility, forcing me to smile for them before quickly straightening my lips as I walk away.

Anyone who messes with me today is wasting their time. I've had a rough day at school and at work, so I'm hoping the team won't get on my nerves, but knowing them too well gives me the impression that they will bug me to no end.

"Not right now, Ashley," I say as I walk past her on my way to my locker, and she shuts her mouth after receiving my irritation.

"Three people for you, and I'll take the other five," she says as I stuff my belongings into my locker.

I say, shaking my head. Though I'm upset right now, I know I wouldn't be able to direct my anger at Ashley, who has only been kind to me. "I'm sorry, but today is an anniversary I'd rather forget, and it's-"

"Ellie," Ashley draws me in for a hug that I desperately needed, but I hesitantly relax in her embrace. "We all have bad days, and we all need to rest now and then, so just take care of the one and I'll take care of the rest."

"Ashley, no. I can't let you do that; I need to stay busy, and I can't just-"

"No, you're doing one," she says sternly, rearranging the papers on my clipboard and fleeing the room before I could object.

I took a deep breath and felt tense all over my body. I close my eyes to get away from the tension and anger, but I can't help but overthink, which is the last thing I want to do. Instead, I straighten my clothes, take my clipboard, and rush out of the room to finish my work and get home early.

As I walk into the training room, I notice plenty of basketball players meeting with our official athlete trainers and therapists, and Ashley is in the corner with the other interns. My eyes scan the area for the person I'm supposed to be working with, only to discover that they aren't there. I glance down at my clipboard to double-check that I read the name correctly, and just seeing it makes me want to tear the board in half.

I take a deep breath, attempting to suppress my feelings, but it only serves to unleash more rage and resentment than I had previously experienced. Knowing I'd see him there, I hurriedly walk away from the entrance and into the boys' changing room. I furiously walk past a few team members who raise their eyebrows at me, perplexed as to why my demeanour is so gloomy.

Theo smiles as he says, "Hey Ellie," but I flip him off and he stumbles back from the harsh response.

I say over my shoulder, "Sorry Theo," and he says, "It's okay," before I can get far enough.

The first thing that comes to mind when I see Jae quietly writing in what appears to be a journal is why the hell is he doing homework right now. I turn to face the frightened teammates, aware that I'm enraged and not in the mood in which they should be. I walk in front of Jae, who is still writing in his notebook and isn't aware of my presence. I clear my throat, but he doesn't seem to hear me, and it's then that I note the AirPods in his ears.

This time, I take a very deep breath, but it's not enough, and the team's curious glares as the scene unfolds in front of them irritates me even more.

"That's his routine," Lucas tells me.

I remark, glaring at him, "I fucking know that." My features soften as I watch him take a step back, as if I'm venting my anger on him. "Sorry."

"It's all right," he says sympathetically, but then awkwardly turns away, making me feel even worse.