10. euphoric pleasure

Jae's pov

"Do you want me to be honest?" Ellie leans back propping herself up with her arms on the counter.

I tilt my head in a confused manner as I look at her. I squint my eyes in the hopes of better understanding what she's saying, but my mind is totally blank. Cassidy's gaze is burning through the side of my head in the corner of my eye, making it more difficult for me to concentrate.

"Sure," I take a sip out of my cup, drowning my hazy thoughts even more.

"You look like shit"

"Thanks, Ellie Mae," I scoff, but a grin creeps across my lips when I know she's just joking. When she sees my face shift from worry to happiness, she laughs.

"Thank you for the flowers," I raise my head and look her in the eyes. Her voice has a genuine and honest sound to it, which makes me feel more at ease.

"You're welcome," I smile.

"You and Cassidy?" She raises a brow, straightening her back.

"It's that obvious?"

Elijah shoves my shoulder and says, "Bro, the whole house can feel the tension, and it's not good for the vibes."

"Really?"

"Are you going to do anything about it?" Elijah looks in between Cassidy and me and lifts his brow. I look up at Ellie, who has a smug smile on her face as if she's having a good time.

"No," I say with a shake of my head. I'm tempted to retaliate and play along with Cassidy's teases, but I know it'll just add to the drama. It also doesn't seem like me if I do that, and I can't do anything because I'm trying to prove myself to Ellie.

"Ellie you should help him," Elijah says, pointing a finger between her and I.

"Me?" She points a finger at herself. When she turns to face us again, her face is scrunched up as she looks over her shoulder at Cassidy. I resist the urge to look at them because I know it's not pleasant, based on Ellie's expression.

"Do you want to do anything about it?" She brings an innocent smile to her lips as she raises her brow. She tilts her head as if she's pushing me or trying to pull my strings and react.

"I can't," I look down, my stomach churning from the alcohol I've ingested and the stress of the situation.

Ellie has her brows raised and her bottom lip jutted out as I lift my head, and she nods her head to herself like she's pleased with my answer. When I look at Elijah, I find that he is trying to hide his grin as he takes a sip from his drink. From behind them, Lucas, James, and Theo all look and gawk at me, as though I were a romcom.

"Ellie, do your thing," Lucas says, patting her shoulder from across the counter. When they all beam at her, searching for answers to my problem, I furrow my brows.

I catch a glimpse of Cassidy, who seems to be getting closer. She is conversing and flirting with the man on the other side of the kitchen. One hand is holding a beer, while the other is rubbing his shoulder. She raises her eyes to me, a smirk on her face, as though she's trying to elicit a response from me. My hand clenches around the cup I'm carrying, crippling the plastic.

"You can do something," Ellie says, jolting me out of my daze. "All you have to do is ask."

"I already asked so much of you, Ellie; I don't need to teach her anything."

"Fine..." she rolls her eyes. "Who started it?"

"What?" I furrow my brows as I watch her face light up with delight.