27. admit it

"AHHHH"

I run out of my room and into the living room, where I see Malcom standing in the corner, terrified. As his eyes widen and his hands cover his agape mouth, I furrow my brows at him. I stand there watching him tensely shaking his legs in terror before I hear a loud slam of a door from the other end of the hallway.

Sofie is furiously walking down the hallway while my head spins around. I squint my eyes, seeing a shadow of what she's carrying, and my eyes widen as she emerges from the dim lighting.

"What the fuck are you doing, Sofie?" I slowly approach her, attempting to lower the baseball bat in her hand, but she gives me an angry glare, causing me to halt my progress.

"I'm going to throw this bat in the air and whack him in the dick like a whack-a-mole," Sofie says, while Malcom and I exchange grim and worried looks.

"What happened, Sofie?" Malcom asks cautiously. Sofie looks in between us and frowns at the bat. We analyse her before Malcom exclaims and wraps Sofie in his arms while she sobs, her body drops to the floor. My breath catches in my throat as I kneel next to her, a pit in my stomach growing as Sofie sobs in Malcom's shoulder.

"It's okay, darling, what happened?" Malcom pulls back, one hand wiping her eyes and the other comfortingly rubbing her back. I sit back with a frown on my face, allowing Malcom to console her because I don't want to overwhelm her. I watch as she takes deep breaths, her sobs filling the room. Malcom and I remain quiet, waiting for her to reveal it to us.

"I-I'm okay," Sofie says as she rises from her spot, wiping away her tears and sniffing through her nose. We share hesitant glances before looking at her with worried expressions because we all know Sofie rarely cries and is the toughest of us all. "I'm so fucking angry that I want to hit-" she says as she picks up the bat from the concrete, and my eyes widen.

"Why don't we let it out vocally," I suggest as I take the bat from her grip.

"I-" she pauses for a moment, scanning the room before settling into one of the stools against our counter. "I caught Aaron fucking another girl."

"AHHHH," Malcom shrieks, causing me to smack him in the chest. "That mother fucking bitch, with whom?"

"I- I don't know"

As Malcom is about to say something, I interject, "You don't need to know." I give him a cold stare, which causes him to close his mouth and slouch on the counter. "What matters is that you caught him."

"I know," Sofie says, clenching her fists and inhaling deeply before rubbing her swollen eyes with her cold hands.

"Don't blame yourself, Sofie," I say as I take a seat next to her and pull her in tight. My stomach turns as I watch her sob in my embrace, take deep breaths, and hiccup, causing her body to jolt in my grip.

"I went to Cassidy's party for Aaron," Sofie says as she looks at the table, most likely replaying the event in her mind as her eye twitches and her body shudders at the thought. Before we give her our full attention, Malcom and I exchange glances.

She scoffs and shakes her head, "I told him I'd meet him there because I was at work." "I should've known something was wrong when Theo told me he was upstairs puking after drinking 5 shots in a row, but I believed...I trusted him."

"After a long day, I walk upstairs to her place, excited to see him. I go through her house's several washrooms before I'm done searching the rooms and...I regret it" To keep the tears at bay, she tilts her head back and closes her eyes. She struggles to hold her hands in her face as she fans them.