54. you need him to live

Jae's pov

I'm walking back and forth, my jacket tossed on top of the counter as I'm still dressed in blood. The team keeps a close eye on me, my arms crossed in frustration, thinking about Ellie. I walk around the kitchen, my feet moving on their own, attempting to distract myself from the images and possibilities but failing miserably.

On my way back to the Airbnb, all I did was stare out the window, hoping to see Ellie somewhere, just to make sure she was okay and safe. When we move deeper into the countryside, the city lights fade, forcing me to stare at my reflection in the windows, crying quietly for myself and mostly for her. All I want to hear is if she's all right.

"Jae, please take a seat," Elijah says, and I come to a halt and give him a glare. He leans back in his chair, his body tense, as he notices my anxiety and anger toward everyone in the room, particularly those who are responsible for pushing Ellie away. They're the reason I have no idea where Ellie went or how she's doing.

"They fucking hurt her," I murmur, my gaze falling to the ground as I shake my head at the image. I can't imagine Mark hurting her or touching her in ways she doesn't want to be held. I blink away the tears, clutching my arms in an attempt to find some kind of comfort to prevent me from collapsing under the weight of my emotions.

"You don't know that Jae," Lucas pulls me to the chairs around the table, where the team makes space for me to sit, but I step away from their worried looks and Lucas' grasp to move away from them.

"She hasn't returned yet?" I can't even look at Cassidy as she comes in after changing into more comfortable clothes. Every time I do, I'm filled with remorse and shame because she's the one who made me waste my time. Every time her gaze falls on me, I'm filled with anger that she made me sit back and follow false directions so she could get away with what she wants.

As Coach Hale walks in, his tie hanging loosely around his neck, a frown on his face as he rubs his temples and puts away his phone, my head snaps up. "We got insight on Ellie," He straightens his back and scans the room for a moment before focusing on me. My brows furrow, eagerly anticipating the moment when I can pin some hope on Ellie. Please be fine.

"The venue searched all of their rooms but couldn't find her. She may have escaped through the back door, according to security, but they aren't sure," Coach says, and I scoff, pulling my sleeves up as they annoy me. Everything irritates me to the point that I can't handle my teammates' subtle breathing and stares. "You are aware, Jae, that you are accusing Mark of a serious matter. You hinted that he may have done something to Ellie-"

"Please," I whisper, shaking my head as I close my eyes, knowing what he's thinking. I don't want to think about Ellie going through any more pain than she already has. She is not deserving of everything that has happened to her.

"There's more isn't there?" Elijah asks and I straighten my back as I watch Coach look at me with a guilty face. I furrow my brows and turn to face Theo, who is pouting in the corner, then Coach. When he blankly looks around the room as if he's scared to tell us the news he heard, he takes a deep breath, the tension filling the air. As I stare impatiently at Coach, my heart races, my mouth is dry, and my palms are sweaty.

"I just want to tell you all that Ellie is our family, and the way we've been treating her recently was not fair," Coach gulps down his nerves as I take a step closer to him, Lucas grabbing my arm, knowing I'm on the verge of reacting badly to Coach's intense, guilty tone. I bite my lower lip, unable to speak because Ellie has had a tough week and has been treated unfairly and disrespectfully by everyone.

"What happened?" Ben asks, and I roll my eyes, focusing on Coach Hale as I catch a glimpse of the team waiting nervously, fidgeting in their seats, looking down at their hands, a frown on their faces as if they care for Ellie, but it irritates me more watching as they now feel bad and regretful on the one person they relied on. The one person I trusted and gave all my love to.