Steven Adler - A Lost Friend

"Hey Mrs. Adler! Is Steven home?" You asked as the smiling lady opened the front door.

"Steven didn't tell you dear? We all made the decision as a family that he'd find his own place. He said it'll help him strengthen his independence." She told you, as you both sat on the sofa.

"Oh. Steven never told me that." You muttered.

"Well he sure is something." She chuckled. "Would you like anything to drink?" She asked.

"Oh no thanks, perhaps later." You politely declined.

"Well Steven has been living in an apartment with his new band buddies. I've been keeping some sort of maintenance there to make sure no one falls apart." She laughed.

"I'm sure they're very grateful for all you've done." You smiled.

"I was about to drop off some food at their place. Would you care to join?" She asked as she went to the kitchen.

"That'd be great! I have some pretty big news to tell." You said as you followed her to the kitchen.

You helped Mrs. Adler pack the small containers of food into the big paper bag. She explained how she had been helping Steven's band with food, and just being a big supporter for his band.

"You ready to go?" She asked.

"Yup!" You said helping her by carrying the bag.

"If you don't mind me asking, what is the big news you were planning to tell Steven?" She asked.

"Well I got accepted into this university I really wanted to go to! Steven was there when I mailed in my application, and I really wanna tell him." You rambled due to the fact that you were very excited about this.

"Congratulations! Now that I think about it, I do recall Steven telling me about how you mailed in a couple of applications. He seemed very happy about it." She smiled.

"Thanks Deanna! How are things going at the house?" You asked.

"Just work here and there. Steven's younger brother is doing great in school. Him and Steven both look up to you." She told you. "I honestly don't understand how Steven never asked you out. He always liked you." She also hinted.

"Really?" You asked surprised.

"Yeah! Especially when he was younger! I don't know about now, but he definitely did. Who wouldn't? You're a very bright intellectual person!" She smiled.

"I guess that's good to know." You mumbled and a small smile formed on your face.

Silent blues music played softly in the car, as you both approached the apartment complex. It was a pretty nice building. But inside Steven's apartment was a wreck.

As soon as you and Mrs. Adler opened the door, the stench of stale beer and marijuana filled the room. It was nothing you hadn't smelled before, but Mrs. Adler seemed to be taken aback by the smell.

"Steven?" She called out.

"Hey ma!" He yelled through a room.