Chapter 40- Died Yet Alive

I stared at the window looking far ahead. A storm is brewing in the northern mountains.
The dark clouds threatens to burst any minute now.

I love rainy days. The smell of the road wet by the rain. The forest drench and the pool of waters in the rabbit's holes.

I love reading book at night back at home. My sisters used to brew me coffee that tasted bitter. Sometimes cooking waffles at night and watching cartoons with them.

During the day, we played outside, playing tag until one all of us tripped, face fell in the mud.  I remember Zach, one time at school. He wore a slippers and fell down the stairs after trying to beat me in the race. I miss home. I miss the good old days.

I drink the rest of the cold coffee and set it aside. I waited for the clock to strike 10 so that I could sneak out and go to my room.

After the incident in the meeting room my mate was furious and insisted ti put five guards on duty outside my door.

I know he's being protective over me after learning someone put dried hemlock to the pepper jar. I still don't know what a hemlock could do because they all seem to avoid my questions.

My mate hasn't return for the evening. He said he'll join me but I guess not. I force  the tears back on my eyes refusing to let the hormones do its thing. Its part of the mate bond thing.

I read the basics of mating and I learned about the bond which both souls connect to each other. Its like a magnet where it pulls  you to go after your mate.

Romania, the queen enter the room with a solemn smile. Ever since the incident, all of them pity me. They feel feel sorry for me because I am weak and targeted to get to the royals.

There was a meeting held in my room when after I woke up this afternoon. Romania refuse to left me out with ignorance and as a queen she demanded I am to inform the situation.

Someone, a foe, tried to kill me.

"Dear, how are you feeling?"
I fidget my fingers and look outside the window. " I'm feeling better"

The bed dips and a warm hand clasp my hand. " If only I could take that pain away" She mumble but I heard it clear.

"You know I was just like you. Always in trouble. People wanted me dead because of my status. They said I was a threat in the Kingdom before I found my mate"

"So, you're human?"

"No. Not really. I am part witch. Half witch, half werewolf.

I gasped in shock. I've read some creatures that are mated to different creature. But I've never imagine the Queen is one of them.

" How is that possible? "

She sigh and stood up taking the chair next to me and lean back. There's a moment of silence. Emotions swirls in her eyes. One of them is guilt, sadness and remorse.

"I believe you've heard about the war centuries ago. Between witches and werewolves?"

"Not really. I've only heard of it... you know before the umm"

"Well it's only past seven and I have an spared hour. I suggest you sit tight and listen very carefully. You'll need it when you become the queen"

I tore my gaze away and look at my wrist. I still feel the warmth of my mate when he kissed me goodbye earlier. I still couldn't believe the whole concept of mates. Its overwhelming. In my world, I wish to meet the love of my life. But now that someone claimed me as his, I don't know if I want it or not.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to be a queen. Hell I'm not even in my proper mind right now. After all that happened. The only thing that keeps me sane is Uncle's promise. The promise I'm holding till the last minute of my life.

" I'm an orphan ever since I was born. I never knew my parents. I lived with my Foster parents. They were witch. I knew I was part witch when I turned eighteen. I burned our barn accidentally."

She chuckled and palm her hand in front of me. When she opened, fire lit. I was amazed by the flares. There are hues of purple and green on the ends. I'm about to reach out to touch it but she close her hand and furrow her brows at me.

" You cannot touch those kind of flares. It will burn your hands faster than you think"

I nodded.

"After the war broke out, many of us fled into shelter. Some made it but majority were unfortunate. They were caught midway in the battle. I was one of them. One of the unfortunates."

"I'm confused... you died yet you're alive?"

"I died. One can never underestimate the power of the will to live. I remember i was among the pile of dead bodies scattered in the area. Guards of Royals burned all the bodies of different creatures to ashes. They killed us twice to make sure there will be no resurrection will be done before the witching hour. "

I lean in and put my arms over my knees. The door opened and the nurse came in with tray on hand. The doctor followed suit. They bowed and began checking me. Romania stood up open open the curtains. The storm will come any minute now.

The lights flickers as the walls shook by the thunder. The doctors assured I was better and Romania ordered them to turn on the generator incase of brown out.

"What happens next?"

"I ran to the piles of bodies. See if there's any survivor. Through tired limbs and dehydrated body I ran. I ran away from the scene. I could not bear any passing minutes to watch as my kind devour by the flames."

I ran as fast as I could to where my bleeding feet will drag me. I tumble upon a cabin few miles south. No one was there or so I thought. I rush to it and hide. I thought I was alone because the lights are dead and no faint scent in house. Until a man in mid twenties.

He helped me. I owe my life to him. "

Bolt of electricity rip the sky followed by a loud thudder. The rain started pouring hard. A yawn escaped my lips and I settled under the warm duvet.

" Good night dear. Press the emergency button if you need anything. You're not advise to go around by yourself. Sleep tight"

I nodded my head and doze off.

Not long after I heard scraping sound on my window. I block my ears and grunted as it penetrated through the pillows I've put to cover my ears.

It started to irritate me so sit up and pull the curtains to the side. Sleep immediately left my system as soon as I stared at the window.

⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️