Chapter 17- Mother

Isabela

I clench my stomach as dread filled inside me. A mixture of pure happiness, guilt, fear is what I am feeling right now.

We are all here. Uncle Fredd, Zach and Jessica, Tristan and his two children, and me. Kris's parents couldn't make it because of the bad weather in their home.

I am staying at the waiting area with Zach, Jessica and Uncle Fredd. I still yet to know why they are here. Tristan stayed inside the operating room as Kris wishes.

*
*
*
*

Its been 3 hours since Kris was in labour. Now we were just waiting for the doctors to let us in.

Her cries resonates on the four sided room across the hallway. Her pleas and wails are too painful for my ears. I lean onto Uncle's shoulder for support since I'm not fully healed.

Zach flickers his eyes to me and to Uncle, observing me like I grown two heads. Uncertainty is obvious im his eyes. I snap my eyes at him and raise my brow in question. He shake his head furiously like a child caught doing something nasty.

I close my eyes. The thought of another baby coming out soon excites me but guilt is stopping the excitement to show on my face. I feel warm hands rub my shoulders. My anxiety ease a little bit.

Suddenly a small cry erupted from the air silencing the busy hallway. All heads are raise finding the source of the cry including the nurses and patients.

A crying Tristan opens the door and announced the successful arrival of his baby. All burst into cries of joy and congratulations.

As for me, I'm still stiff but manage to plaster a genuine smile. Tristan usher us to go meet the baby. Zach being Zach went first with Jessica smacking her hand to his head.

I waited as they all go inside. I took a deep breath before going inside. I swallow the lump that formed in the throat and shake my body to release the tension.

An encouraging smile faced me as I'm still a foot away from the room. I went inside and smile as Kris cuddles with the baby. All of us stared in awe.

I can see the Kris crying in happiness after all the labour and contraction, finally her baby is out. One by one, all of us hold the baby.

Zach insisted he go first. I zeroed my eyes over a small child that is crying the rest became blurr. I once dream to experience the same way Kris gone through. I longed for a child to snuggles in my chest. Its little fingers wrap around my pointy fingers. I longed for her cries when she pulled out of me. How I wish I can get to experience that.

The emptiness in my heart continues to spread eating every bit of hope that I restored.

I heard Kris calling my name. I blink the tears that started to form in my eyes. I slowly stood up. All eyes are on me but my focus in on the crying baby. I look at Uncle and regret doing it. All I see is pity and longing just like me.

I walk to Tristan and his eyes shone the same. I hate it. I had enough of pity in my life. Tristan hands me the crying baby. I carefully wrap my arms to his fragile body. His cries stop when I snuggle him in my chest. The room went silent.

I smiled as his eyes stared into my teary eyes. I rub his cheeks affectionately and Im shock when he purr. Series of gasp is heard when the exchange of love happened.

When I'm going to put my fingers away, he caught it. His tiny arms wrap around my fingers just like I have dream of.

I sit into one of the chairs beside Kris.