Mine For The Summer (2) ★

The carnival was alive with activity and it was as if the whole town's population had shown up, what with how crowded it was. There were booths selling everything from souvenirs to some of the most mouthwatering pretzels and slushies I have ever seen and there were also countless gaming stations, all boasting gorgeous prizes ranging from soft toys to even nintendo switches. Screams of excitement could be heard as the roller coaster behind me zoomed past me and a cool summer track was playing in the background, playing from loudspeakers situated all over the place.

I checked my phone nervously for the time as I stood waiting for Lisa. It was already 15 minutes past the designated time we were supposed to meet and I felt an all too familiar sense of dread fill my heart. I know I'm probably overthinking everything but I couldn't help but worry. Just where was she?

"Jennie!"

I turned around the sound of Lisa's voice to see her just standing next to a nearby pretzel booth, looking every bit as fresh and beautiful as I remembered her to be. Seeing her always felt like we were seeing for the first time and I felt a pleasant shiver run through my body as she approached me. At the same time, I breathed out an audible sigh of relief that I didn't even realise I was holding.

"Hey!"

"Hey... Have you been waiting long?" She asked, shooting me sheepish grin.

For some reasons, my mind drifted back to that distant memory of the accident and I immediately shut it out as I plastered on a smile.

"Nope, I haven't," I reassured then quickly added, "don't feel bad about it, I don't mind waiting at all."

Lisa shook her head vehemently, indignant written all over her face.

"I couldn't possibly make you wait. I'm really sorry about that, it's just I got held up at the res-" I stopped her mid sentence by placing my finger on her lips. Her eyes widened in surprise as she looked at me.

"It's alright. Don't be sorry, let's just go." I replied, trying to still my beating heart at the thought of the resurfacing memory.

"Um, ok then if you say so," she said, regarding me with a puzzled look. An awkward silence befell between us as she shuffled her feet, unsure of what to say. I fiddled with my fingers as I mentally cursed myself.

Why did I have to make things awkward?

Looking around, Lisa pointed at something from afar.

"Why don't we try out the bumper cars?" She suggested, breaking the silence.

"Sure."

The afternoon with Lisa went better than I expected and as we made our way through the various rides and booths at the carnival, I almost forgot about the three week time frame I had. For once in 20 years, I actually let myself go free and to be honest, it was genuinely the most fun I have had for the longest time. We spent the afternoon snacking on some of the most delicious carnival fare I've ever had in my life and going on the many fun rides available. By the time we were done cruising through the carnival for all it has to offer, the sky was already darkening.

"I can't believe you actually got that last ring on the bottle! I was probably a hundred percent sure it wasn't going to go over it," I laughed, my cheeks almost hurting from it.