The Monster in the Mirror (1) ★

Sometimes monsters don't hide under the bed, sometimes they hide behind mirrors - watching, waiting for the moment to strike, to kill. (Monster Jennie and Human Lisa)

please be mindful of the trigger warnings: blood, violence, voyeurism and obsessive behavior.

-

6 AM

Over and over again.

Just the same as every day from Monday to Friday the alarm clock rings at exactly 6 AM. In the consistent alternation of one second, a shrill sound rotates with a second of silence. Five times the shrill sound echos through the almost bare bedroom before a hand slams down on the device and silence fills the room again.

Jennie watches the sheets rustle. Her eyes follow the figure that emerges from beneath the blanket, black hair messily strewn over a forehead, eyes with sleep still in the corners, and a pout on lips that pull into a yawn.

Cute. She's cute. But Jennie already knew that.

First comes a stretch of the right arm, then the left, and after that, she would shiver when her naked feet hit the cold floor. Jennie chuckles to herself as she continues to observe the other woman. As consistent as ever, Lisa follows the same pattern she held up since she moved into this apartment.

She could set a clock after Lisa's routine and it would never show the wrong time.

6.10 AM

Lisa enters the bathroom, squinting as she turns on the light and cursing under her breath because of the sudden brightness. Just the same way she does every single morning. First step, wash her face. And like always, Jennie is tempted to reach out and touch her the moment Lisa is bowing forward, face down in the sink as she splashes cold water into her face.

She might not even notice - just a brush of fingers through the messy hair on top of her head.

When the other straightens up again Jennie quickly pulls her hand back, back where Lisa wouldn't see.

Her heart is beating in excitement. Lately, Jennie has been getting a kick out of almost revealing herself to Lisa, of trying to get as close to her as possible without getting caught. It's - a different kind of thrill from the one she's used to.

So much better.

Completely unaware of Jennie's presence, Lisa proceeds with her morning routine. Her toothbrush, each night being put with the head down into a small cup of mouthwash, to the right of the sink and her skin routine, spotless each morning, to the left of the sink. Lisa reaches for the skin routine first.

Jennie loves this part the most. Loves how intensely Lisa stares into the mirror - stares at her - whenever she's applying her skin routine. Even if the other doesn't see her, Jennie could feel her gaze so heavily on her skin that it almost steals her breath away. Ah - she loves pretending Lisa is only looking at her and nothing else. Just her.

Jennie's stomach flutters as Lisa checks her skin in the mirror, leaning slightly closer. Closer to her. Her breath almost fogs up the glass.

Satisfied with the result of her applying, Lisa grabs her toothbrush next. Wet the toothbrush, only with warm water, put the toothpaste on, wet the brush again, and only then, does she start brushing. Even that is done in a particular pattern. Over the past weeks, Jennie has learned every single step of Lisa's routine. She would probably be able to predict every single move of the other's muscle.

And the last step, brushing her hair. Until at least her hair looks clean and ready for the day. A blank expression on her face.

6.20 AM