Half of My Heart (is yours)

"No no no no, fuck fuck fuck!" Lisa curses under her breath, staring at her soiled underwear.

This is the worst thing that could happen to her today. Getting her period on a Monday right after her first class is really not how she saw her day going.

She didn't even bring her kit with her because her period wasn't supposed to come for another week. With a grunt, she grabs an insane amount of toilet paper and wraps it around her underwear, and tells herself to go see the nurse for a pad. She wipes herself, rolling her eyes when she sees all the blood, and then flushes. Seriously, did she have to be a girl?

She meets Jennie by her friend's locker. She leans against the hard metal with a loud sigh.

"I got my period this morning."

It's recess time, which means they have about fifteen minutes before they have to go back to class. Lisa hates school. If it was up to her, she'd be home-schooled. But according to her parents, she needs "to stop reading those english books and remember she's thai." Or whatever.

Jennie, Lisa's best friend, turns to her with wide eyes.

"Really? Again?" Lisa nudges her shoulder.

"Yes, again." She chuckles a little because of course Jennie would say something like this.

"It's just.. so soon? I feel like you just got them." Jennie says after she closes her locker.

"Tell me about it." Lisa groans. "Maybe my cycle is a short one. I read that some girls have cycles as short as 21 days."

"Gosh, that feels really short." Jennie replies.

They start walking down the hall to go outside. But of course, life isn't as easy. Lisa sees the three boys running around and rolls her eyes at the sight. God, boys are so dumb, she thinks. She grimaces when they make disturbing faces at her and Jennie, who only looks away.

"Gosh, I hate boys so much." She retorts once they're outside.

The two young girls sit on the stairs, pushing their skirts under their legs. Jennie laughs at Lisa's words.

"You won't say that once you get a boyfriend." Lisa pulls a face.

"Eurgh! No, never, I am never letting a boy and let alone a man approach me!" She takes a little bag of dried fruits out of her bag and opens it, offering some to Jennie.

"So you're never going to get married and have children?" Jennie asks as she takes a few snacks in her hands.

Lisa watches as her best friend carefully places each dry fruit in her mouth, wrapping her plump limps around the small snacks every time. Lisa wonders if Jennie knows how beautiful she is sometimes. Jennie is so shy and sweet and gentle, while Lisa is a bit of a rebel who doesn't care much about everything. Lisa doesn't know how they did manage to even stay friends for ten years already, but still. She wouldn't give this up for anything.

"No." She replies fiercely.

"No man is ever going to grace the temple that is my body!" She adds with a playful tone and Jennie laughs.

"You're crazy, Lisa!"

"Yet you love me, Nini!"

Jennie visibly blushes at the little pet name and Lisa is a little proud of herself. They sit together for the rest of recess, talking about their classes. Once recess is over, the two girls head towards their classrooms. They have a different class but thankfully, they're right next to each other's so they can have a bit more time together. But that also means they're walking back with other of their classmates. Who happen to be boys.