Stay ★

Where in after suffering a car accident, Jennie can't remember the most recent years of her life.

Her ex-wife, Lisa, tells her the story of how they ended.

-

At first, she didn't realize it was a dream.

Lisa was smiling next to her, head on the pillow, hand cupping Jennie's face. She was whispering something about forever and Jennie felt all fuzzy inside, like that was where she was supposed to be, where she belonged. She leaned in to capture her wife's lips on a kiss, and the entire scenario dissipated into a white room with a white board and a single white chair right in the center. Lisa was not there, and Jennie felt cold. That was not real. That was not happening.

She needed to wake up.

But waking up was a difficult task. Jennie tried hard, the best she could. When she opened her eyes for the first time, she couldn't keep them open for more than a few seconds, the entire room spinning. So she slept again. And woke up again. And then dozed off one more time. The cycle repeated itself for more times than she could count, but she wasn't trying to, anyway. Each time she came back to reality, she felt somehow stronger, even if everything still spun and made her want to throw up.

Jennie had no idea what was wrong with her and she kept blabbing things, trying to ask, trying to understand. She heard voices sometimes and a pressure to her hands. She knew she wasn't alone. She hoped it was Lisa there, or Jisoo. Luckily both.

But when she finally blinked her eyes open and the room didn't spin, the relief only lasted a few minutes because soon she learned of what had happened. The hand in her felt unfamiliar for a second, and she couldn't remember her name, so they called the doctor. They asked her a bunch of questions, what's your birthday, what are your parents names, who's the president . She tried to answer those questions, she really did, but she didn't know.

So she panicked. She cried. She screamed. She tried to stand up even if her leg was broken and it hurt like a bitch. She threw up and she begged for someone to tell her what was wrong. Nothing felt familiar.

Then she remembered her name was Jennie. Jennie Kim. Of course they had already told her that, but hearing the words is not the same thing as knowing them. So the overwhelming emotion that came with the memory of introducing herself to people hi, I'm Jennie Kim made her sob into the stranger's arms.

The stranger was Jisoo, Jennie's best friend, she remembered a few hours later with a straw between her lips while listening to anecdotes about their childhood together. They were alone for most of that first day, with a few other strangely familiar faces stopping by after the doctors moved her to a room alone. Jisoo told her so many stories, and little by little, the stories start to make sense in Jennie's mind. She remembers Rosé now. She remembers the fight she had with her mom before she moved away from their home and she remembers she was born in the year of the rat.

The doctors come by every hour and the nurse in charge of her is always a bip away. They mentioned retrograde amnesia, but are confident Jennie's just confused because of the head concussion she suffered. After all, she's remembering things fairly easy. They said the recent years might be the hardest to remember, and that she should try not to feel frustrated if she can't, but Jennie thinks that's a stupid advice. How could she not be frustrated if she couldn't remember things that happened not too long ago? But she won't think about this now. She needs to concentrate on remembering what she can.

It's been less than 24 hours since she woke up and Jisoo hasn't left her side one bit, most likely not even when Jennie was too tired and fell asleep again. The doctors recommended for them to start with early life and build their way up, several photo books brought by Jisoo in the intent of helping her.