Chaos

"Keefe?"Sophie turned her head slowly to where the voice had come from. 

Mr. Forkle.

"Well? You just said Sophie was in danger?" Mr. Forkle said, not allowing himself any questions about Keefes appearance.

Sophie turned her head to where Keefe stood stricken.

"Yes... me and Kye, we saw our mother."Sophie gasped, surprised at the sudden news. How had she found Keefe? Would it have been better to leave him with Kye?

"Who's... never mind. What did your mother say? How is Sophie in danger?" Mr. Forkle asked.

"She said Kye had a special ability, and that she needed her to get close to Sophie. I'm not sure why she came but she seemed to want to scare us, there was no other reason for her appearance." Keefe said, rushing through every word. 

Sophie frowned, unsure of whether she should be more worried for herself, Keefe, or Kye. 

"Wait if Kye was with you why didn't we get to know about this earlier?" Sophie asked, surely Kye would've babbled about it... and why would Keefe wait for later to tell her if she was in such danger?

"Well... I told Grady. He thought it would be best if you and me-"Keefe was cut off as Grady started talking. 

"I told Keefe to head home to pack, you and Keefe have to hide out with the Black Swan, he needs to hide away from his mom and you shouldn't be out in the open," Grady said, coming up beside her in a flash. 

"Wait but-" Sophie started, only to stop as Grady held a hand up in silence.

"I didn't tell you yet because I knew you'd argue so I'm not giving you any time. You have five minutes to pack and then you leave with the Black Swan." Grady said swiftly and then turned to Mr. Forkle. 

"I'm sorry I couldn't give you many details earlier, but you have to make sure both Keefe and Sophie are safe, they'll fill you in once they are secure. Edaline and I will take care of Kye."

"But when will we be able to come back?" Sophie asked but a cool look from Grady caused her not to press too hard. Instead, she ignored all the racing questions in her mind and hugged Grady before running off to pack.

~~~

"Are you ready to go?" Edaline asked from the doorway, Kye watching from afar. She hadn't come close to Sophie since earlier that day. Now she knew why. Or at least a margin of it, they all still had no idea what Kye's ability was able to do. 

"Yeah, I'm ready," Sophie said, hugging Ella and carrying her small backpack. 

"Are you sure Kye should stay here? Won't Lady Gisela come for her?" Sophie questioned worriedly.

"If she wanted her she would have tried earlier, besides. Me and your father aren't exactly powerless." Edaline said with a sad smile and then went to hug Sophie. Sophie returned the hug, closing her eyes and wishing this could all go away. After the hug, Sophie turned to where Kye stood from afar. She moved to come closer but Kye backed up. 

"No, don't come closer," Kye whispered and Sophie stopped, realizing she and Keefe had been in a similar position weeks ago, how had it all come to this?

"Okay. I'll be with Keefe for the next few weeks, if you ever want to talk to him use the imparter we gave you earlier alright?" Sophie said and Kye nodded. 

"I'll only call him when I really need it." Kye said and Sophie smiled, 

"Keefe's waiting downstairs to say goodbye to you, we'll leave after that."

"Okay," Kye said and bit her lip slightly as if considering saying something.

"You'll make sure he's safe right?" Kye asked a scared look in her eyes. Cautiously Sophie stepped towards the little girl, she'd been around all week, a few more minutes couldn't hurt.

"Your brother and I will be safe with the Black Swan, but yeah, I'll help him," Sophie said and Kye nodded seriously. 

"You know he really likes you right?" Kye said and Sophie let out a cool breath.

"He'd be a bad match you know," Kye said after a second, and Sophie looked back to Kye, surprised. 

"He never said it but... one time he was thinking about it and I sorta broke the rules. He said it was okay though when I mentioned it later." Stunned, Sophie found herself speechless, she'd known Keefe liked her but she hadn't known it was so...

"He also said it would always be your choice. He'd never pressure you to do anything."

Sophie stood silent for a second as she thought on Kye's words. Through the chaos of everything she'd forgotten about... both of their feelings. But now that she had a second to breathe she felt differently as if those feelings were renewed. Her cheeks turned pink as she noticed Keefe had come into the room at the most opportune time. 

"Hey..." Keefe's voice trailed off, a slightly nervous smile on his lips as he crossed to where Sophie stood next to Kye. 

They were silent for a second as if neither of them wanted to acknowledge the elephant in the room. Avoiding his gaze Sophie stepped out of the room, wanting to give them space, soon she and Keefe would have lots to talk about. She had pushed away her feelings for him for far too long, ignored the nudges of flutters and pink on her cheeks. The laughter in her heart and the crazily undeniable love. It had been too long since she had put herself first. Once they were safe and secure and had filled Mr. Forkle in on everything, maybe they could sit down and talk and finally talk about everything. Let it all out.

It's time to put us first. 

~~~