Gentle

"You're kidding. Right?" Keefe asked, as Sophie shook her head, groaning inwardly. He did not want to go back to his dads "beach getaway."

"It's our only option. And it's the one place no one would ever look, after you left your dad was taken in by the black swan about some deal for information." Sophie paused a tone of anger as she said, "not like I even got to know what the information was." She rolled her eyes.

"Do we really have to go back?" Keefe asked, straining to think of somewhere... anywhere else.

"I think it's our only option," Sophie said and he stiffened as she placed a hand on his shoulder comfortingly, she'd been doing that a lot lately... did it mean anything? No. And it wouldn't matter, Foster only viewed him as a friend. And he couldn't tell her tha-

Remember your promise to Kye. A little voice in the back of his mind reminded him teasingly, torturously, as if he didn't have enough to worry about... or wait. That's what Foster had been feeling when she nudged him, but it wasn't a "Im worried about spending so much time with Keefe!" So... what was it?

"Sophie did something happen while I was gone?" He asked after a second. Well that was stupid, of course things had happened while he was gone. Time moves on, people move on, everything. Moves on. And he was about to take back the question when she reached a hand to pull off another eyelash, indicating his suspicions were correct.

"Sophie." He reached out a hand to grab hers. But instead of explaining, Sophie simply levitated them and dropped them into the void.

~~~

"Home sweet home." Keefe muttered sarcastically as he walked into the extensively neat room that practically begged to be wrecked. Mayb-

"Before you cause any mischief"

Keefe looked to meet Fosters gaze a smirk tugging on his lips, how'd she known what he was thinking? Nice to know Foster had payed attention to his antics.

"We need to discuss what we're going to- why are you looking at me like that?" Sophie looked at him flustered as he winked at her, pink adding to that adorable face of hers.

"Oh Foster I always look at you like this!" He said, only half joking while she frowned at him, looking disconcerted and unfocused.

"Oh. Right." She mumbled after a few seconds, looking towards the floor.

"Foster." Keefe voiced gently, crossing the room too pull her to sit down on one of the seats in the room. "What's wrong? And don't even try to lie to an empath, I know somethings going on with you." He bit his lip, covering her hand with his own, warmth spreading across his whole arm, but Sophie just shook her head.

"It... doesn't matter." She said, and before Keefe could say another word she retreated. "Okay fine. It's Edaline. She doesn't remember me."

"Doesn't remember you?" Keefe asked, confusion filling his mind. "What do you mean?"

"Well honestly I don't know all the details. I sort of stormed off and went to find you...?" Sophie stumbled over her words and explained what she did know, the attack's, Edaline face, Grady's last request.

Keefe sighed, they seriously should have planned all of this out better. But now wasn't a time to work on plans, he had to make sure Sophie was okay.

He didn't say a word as he turned his hand so Sophie's was in his own, gently and without so much as a syllable he moved his finger back and fourth rhythmically, hoping to offer some sense of comfort. Surprisingly she leaned into him, he tensed at this as Sophie yawned and leaned her head on his shoulder, the movement seemed so
casual, so fresh yet also familiar, a feeling of home.