Bravery

"We're here," Richard said, helping his children and wife out of the car.

"We're going for dinner first and than too the animal shelter. Although..." Mrs. Mcfield eyed him thoughtfully.

"You seem so good with children, maybe you could help us take care of them so we could work? You could stay at our home an eat meals with us. It's not much but we have a guest room next to the children's."

"That sounds great," Keefe beamed but than his hope faltered, "But wouldn't you like to know me better? I've hardly said a word about myself."

"We can fix that, come into the restaurant with us. We can talk about it." Richard said, and Keefe nodded, following them into a building filled with a nice aroma.

"What's this place called?" Keefe asked as he walked inside.

"It's a buffet. You can get anything, from beef to salad." Richard explainer grabbing a plate for his kids too eat. "Get whatever you like. It's my treat."

Keefe nodded, gagging as he saw the pieces of meat. Why couldn't they be nice to animals. He shook his head, looking for a place with something green. Surely that would be better?

~~~

"I see your family raised you healthy." Mrs. Mcfield said looking pointedly at his plate as he sat down at the table in one fo the chairs.

"I guess so... I've never liked eating animals," Keefe said politely, looking at the meat on the others plates as Kye sat down next to him with her brother beside her and father next to his wife.

"So you're a vegetarian?" Richard asked and after he nodded he smiled.

"My grandmother was as well, she tried to persuade me once but I enjoy steak too much." Richard said and than tipped his head to study Keefe.

"So where are you from?"

Keefe gulped, wondering how he was supposed to explain anything. Obviously he'd have to lie...

"I'm an orphan sir." Sorta wish I was... he thought sadly, even if part of him knew his dad did care in some sort of psychotic way. But if he was truly an orphan at least than his mom wouldn't be a leader to a group of murderers. Than he could still be with Foster...

"Oh, so the orphanage let you leave at age...?"

"Sixteen." Keefe mumbled, hoping his story wasn't too crazy.

"They didn't have a lot of room so they let me go." He muttered and the adults nodded seriously while the kids ate there food hungrily.

Keefe picked at his plate of green, chewing it carefully, some of it had mild bits of flavor but the rest was dull. He stabbed a piece of pink fruit with a fork and thrusted it into his mouth. Surprisingly it wasn't the best thing on his
Plate, sweet, cool, refreshing. Unsurprisingly it was no competition to any food he'd ever eaten at home. Well maybe curdle roots. But still.

~~~

"Still hungry?" Richard asked as he finished the plate.

"No sir. Thank you for the meal." Keefe said, hoping his eyes showed his gratefulness.

"Good. I finished as well, why don't I show you around town while my wife pays the bill?"

"Sure." Keefe said, standing up and following the man out the door.

"I'm an orphan as well Keefe." Richard said as he pointed out certain buildings and shops.

"You are?" Keefe asked, feeling guilty from his lie.

"Yes. My mother passed away when I was born, and I never found my fathers name till it was too late." He said sadly.

Sympathy arose inside of Keefe, humans lives were so short compared to elves. It must be very hard.

"Might I ask... what happened to Kye? Her foot..." Keefe's voice trailed off, remembering how it had looked disfigured, as if twisted and frozen in place.

Richard nodded, the sad look remaining in his eyes. "Kye was born that way, when she grew it got worse, the doctors performed a surgery on her but they could only ease the pain. She will live with it for the rest of her life."

The look in his eyes made Keefe want to cry as he thought of the difficulty and scorn such a sweet little girl would have to face. Maybe the elves would have a cure... no. They wouldn't. And even if they did, he couldn't go back there... right?

"It's okay son, I know what it's like to wonder what you could do for someone. I've tried everything to help my little girl. But do you know what she told me when I explained to her that she would have this all her life? And mind you this was only a few months back."

Keefe nodded, wondering what it could be.

"She said, well dad as long as I can smile and laugh I'll be as happy as kitten with a new mouse to chase."

Keefe's eyes filled with water at his words, she sounded very brave. Maybe he would see that later too.

"She's amazing." Keefe said softly. Richard nodded and they walked back to the restaurant in silence.

Humans were different than he'd first thought, he decided as he found his way into the vehicle. They struggled yes, but there was a beauty too it. The perseverance, the bond that formed in a family. The way they held each other together.

Was it too much to wish for the same thing?