Hope

Keefe looked around the room, shadows at each corner. He shivered slightly in the unfamiliar bed, pulling the covers up too his chin.

It was odd sleeping somewhere so new. So... foreign. This world he'd walked into was more different than he could imagine. Yes it had its good spots. But there was also the tough ones.

That's just what life is. He reminded himself, trying to prevent the shadows from creeping further into his mind. That day he'd noticed his empathy tricks had died down. For some reason now he needed physical contact for reading emotions, maybe his mothers power had warn off? He hoped so. But it was probably just some
kinks in the plan that would fade after a little. Life was never so simple. And honestly he hated the timing. Just had to get better after he had already left, he rolled his eyes at the thought. No turning back now.

He stared around looking at everything, his clothes were in the bag on a shelf next to him and Mrs. Stinkybottom was in between his arm. The few things he'd brought with him. And yet they brought much comfort. He'd hidden the gulon in fear that the creatures didn't exist for humans. But now that he was alone in bed he held on too her tighter than he ever had before, afraid of what might happen if he ever let go.

"Keefe?" A shrill voice whispered from a few feet away.

He turned his head too see Kye in a dress with a cat on it that said "I meow better than you!"

"Hey what're you doing up?" Keefe asked, sitting up and patting the spot next to him, gesturing for her too come up. She walked over, a sad look on her face.

"I'm scared of the dark," she whispered as she sat onto the bed leaning against his legs. Keefe smiled gently, feeling her emotions, "I'm scared too." he whispered, of what's hidden in the dark.

"Can I stay in here?" Kye asked softly, fixing a stare at him till he nodded. How could he say no to her? he'd only been staying there for a few days so far but already felt like a friend.

"Here, you can have this blanket, I'll take the other one." Keefe said, wrapping an arm around her as he gently lifted her up slightly to slide the blanket out from under her till he could put it around her. He took his arm back but she held onto it, Keefe stifled a laugh as she stared at his hand. As if marveling how much bigger it was than her own. After a minute she released it, snuggling deep into the blankets.

Keefe put the other blanket around himself squeezing Mrs. Stinkybottom.

"How'd you get that stuffed animal?" Kye whispered, pointing at the gulon. So much for hiding it from prying eyes.

"It's a bit of story, would you like me to tell it to you?" Keefe asked, smiling when she nodded earnestly.

"Well one day I heard some bad news, it really shook me. You see my mother had gotten herself into trouble. And I didn't know who I was anymore, because if my own mother could be like that who would I grow up to be?" Keefe said, almost to himself but not forgetting the small girl next to him. Here he was spilling out a personal memory to someone who hadn't known him for more than a few days, life was funny wasn't it?

"So my friend Foster," Kyes eyes widened at this. "She got a friend of hers too give me the stuffed animal. She thought it might help me feel better."

"Did it?" Kye asked, watching him intently, as if her very life depended on the answer.

"Yes." he said simply, "But it wasn't just the stuffed animal that helped me feel better," he spoke softly, fondly, as he remembered it.

"It was because she had cared." Keefe leaned back slowly, squeezing the gulon as if it could help remind him of every bit of Sophie's smile, eyes, anything.

All he ever had was her.

"Tell me another story about Foster." Kye spoke quietly, as if she too knew the meaning that the name held.

"One more. And than you go to sleep." Keefe said, and she nodded intently, snuggling against the blankets and brushing his arm, letting a flurry of emotions enter his heart, once again reminding him how fragile a child's emotions could be, a minute earlier she'd been fearful, but now it was relaxation, comfort, hope.

"One time I got myself into a bit of trouble. It took me awhile to get out of it but I did, unfortunately I made a few mistakes. So I left to find Foster." Keefe said, and Kye nodded, waiting for him to continue. Clearly she wouldn't be drifting off to sleep any time soon.

"She was away on a trip so it took a bit for me to get there. But when I did... I couldn't find her. And there had been an earth quake so I was really worried I wouldn't be able to find her," he paused once more, remembering the events in Lumenaria.

"I kept looking for her though, and I was so scared. But than I found her, I was so relieved, so happy." He breathed out the words.

"And than I woke her up and she just... when I saw her... I just felt home."

"You..." Kyes voice trailed off as curiosity filled her eyes. And than amusement.

"Keefe has a crush!" She shouted. But he shushed her, afraid that she'd wake up her parents, and maybe he was a little embarrassed too. Who knew a little girl could figure out his love-life after a few short story's? Foster really was oblivious.

"A bit more than a crush." He muttered and than regretted it when Kyes eyes rounded. Surprisingly she didn't say a word as she eyed him thoughtfully.

"I think she'll like you too." Kye whispered after a minute, as if she'd given this some deep thought.

"You're nice." She said and yawned, snuggling close too him.

Keefe smiled, and picked up Mrs.Stinkybottom, placing her between the little girl's arms. She needed him more than he did.

"I hope so." He whispered as Kyes breathing slowed, her eyes shut tight.

"I really hope so."