Hidden

Sophie opened her eyes too the light, blinking away her drowsiness as she sat up. Surprisingly she'd been able to fall asleep for a little while last night, unfortunately her sleep had been anything but restful and full of some very... peculiar dreams.

Let's just say she'd never look at Ella the same way again.

Sighing, Sophie stood up from her bed and got dressed. Today she would have too tell everyone about... Keefe. And she was not looking forward too it.

"Your parents informed me too tell you that they invited everyone over to talk, they want you to share the news about Keefe." Sandor said from behind her door.

Sophie rolled her eyes at this, couldn't her parents have told her themselves?

They're trying hard. That little nagging voice inside her head insisted. You got into such a mess with the Neverseen. Sophie shook her head, not sure what to believe. Yes she had done something drastic, out of the ordinary. But... maybe that's what they all needed. Something new, something to shake everything up. Better yet? Someone. And that someone was Keefe. Yes the neverseen had orchestrated his new abilities, but if they could finally find a way to outsmart them when they were down... this could be just the distraction they needed to win. Watch the Neverseen scramble while they train Keefe.

There was only one problem with that.
Keefe.

"Sophie, come out soon. A few of your friends are waiting for you downstairs."

"I'll be out soon." Sophie called, she had one last thing to do.

Walking over to where she'd placed Keefe's letter she grabbed it and read it again. Took out another paper and pencil and wrote out a new message for them. She didn't need the others to know what Keefe had told her, they'd try to stop her if she went after him. But there was no way they'd let her hide the letter away from them. So this was the next best thing.

After a few minutes Sophie had a new revised letter, and although it wasn't in Keefe handwriting she guessed no one would be able to tell the difference. At least she hoped not.

"Sophie!" The door burst open, and a brown haired beauty walked into the room, not noticing Sophie scramble to hide the old note.

"Hey Biana." Sophie said, trying to sound nonchalant as she shoved the note under a blanket and sat on it.

"Everyone's waiting downstairs. So I came up here to fetch you, hoping that you were taking time to do your hair. But we can both see that's not what you're doing so we might as well go down." Biana said, flicking a strand of her dark hair away.

"Sounds good," She said and waited for Biana to leave before she grabbed the other note and placed it in her pocket.

When she walked downstairs she was face to face with many impatient faces. The collective, the Vackers, Tam, Linh, Dex, Marella, Wylie, Stina, and of course all the bodyguards. Even Ro was there standing beside Elwin who none had questioned why they were there.

"Keefe's gone." She spit the words out, not bothering to explain. Instead she thrust out the letter she had revised for them all too read,

To the Mysterious Miss F!
Ugh. I'm already regretting starting this letter that way. But I don't have any extra paper, and crossing it out would look worse, so... I guess we'll just have to add it to my list of mistakes.  And I know you're going to think that everything I'm about to say should also be on that long list of Keefe Fails. But I swear—that's NOT what this is. I'm not trying to fix everything or save everyone this time.

Trust me when I say that the powers my mom gave me are super bad. There seriously aren't strong enough words to explain how horrible they are. And I CAN'T control them—just like I can't stop my mom from forcing me to use them.  So... this is the only way. I don't want to do it. But I have to. And I'm not going to ask you not to hate me. I'm going to be hiding the same way the Black Swan hid you.

So again, please, just... trust me, okay?  And since this is the last time I'll ever talk to you, I just... I want to say that I'm really going to miss you. You mean a lot to me, Foster. More than you'll ever know.  Please be careful. Please be happy. It's better for everyone this way.
You'll see. 
Love, Keefe

Ro has snatched up the letter and read it out to everyone, and at his last words the room was silent for a few seconds, till everyone started shouting.

"We have to tell the council,"

"We can't! They might punish Keefe."

"What's Ro going to do now?"

"We have to find him."

"He wanted to leave, shouldn't we let him be?"

"Can I look at the note?"

"How long can we keep this a secret?"

"Can any of you believe that Hunkyhair didn't even tell Sophie that he lo-"

"Can I talk to you alone." Fitz said, walking beside her as she nodded.

After the walked away from the shouting voices and crowd of people she leaned against the wall. Waiting for Fitz too speak.

"We both know that wasn't Keefe's handwriting."

Sophie opened her mouth to object,
"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh come on Sophie. I've seen Keefe's handwriting before. I am his best friend you know."

"Than why didn't he leave you a note?" Sophie remarked, knowing she was being harsh when Fitz sucked in a breath.

"You should know that things haven't been easy between me and Keefe lately."

"And how does that give you the right to interrogate me?" Sophie asked, trying to look defensive. "It's not like that's my fault."

Fitz gave her an exasperated look... or at least that's what it looked like. She honestly couldn't tell.

"Whatever Sophie but... please don't hide this from all of us. From me at least. I'm your cognate remember?" Fitz said, flashing a smile that used to make her heart melt. But for some reason didn't anymore.

"Fine. Stay back when everyone leaves." Sophie conceded, anything to just end this conversation, after he nodded she walked back to find the others waiting for them.

"We aren't sure about what to do with Keefe yet, but we decided about Ro." Alden said, gesturing toward the ogre watching in the corner.

"For the time being she will be taking Bo's place as your bodyguard."