Lucy

It was the night before March Madness began, so the bar was on the quieter side. I was so thankful that Maggie let me off the hook for my shift tomorrow since that was the only time the calculus tutor had a time slot. Stella also reminded me about Jameson's art show tomorrow night and even though I hadn't fully committed when she first told me about it, I thought it might be nice to go be social for a bit. I haven't been to Old Town Scottsdale in ages and I love the art walk they do on Thursdays.

I am wiping down the counter after two customers closed their tab out when a blur of red saunters over to me.

"You going to the art thing tomorrow?" Jack asks and I scoot him out of my way with my hip to continue wiping down the counter.

"Yeah," I narrow my eyes at him, "How do you know about that?" He leans against the sink as he replies, "Jameson is friends with Fischer. I'm going with him."

"Oh? Well, I know Stella is helping with the marketing and she made him blast invites to everyone he's ever met. I forgot about that connection." I then wonder if Fischer was invited, does that mean Taylor Hill's crew was also invited? I was looking forward to spending the evening with Stella, but not if Jack's lake rats will be crowding the venue. I stop wiping the rag in circular motions and ask, "Is your little lake crew going then?"

He shrugs, "No idea. I don't know who is actually friendly enough with Jameson to come out to Scottsdale on the first night of March Madness." 

"There will be an open bar. I'm sure that will entice your crowd." 

"Says the girl that takes two red bulls when they come and hand them out on campus." 

"I do like free shit," I admit with a frown. He glances down the empty bar and then back to me.

 "Speaking of cheap free alcohol, Maggie is having a thing on Saturday." I mirror his posture by leaning against the counter opposite him, extending my legs out in front of me.

I roll my eyes before replying, "Ugh, I know. She wants me to drop by, but I don't think I want to party with any of these people after a closing shift."

"That was my thought too. She wanted me to spread the word, but she and Missy always invite all of Phoenix. It ends up being a weird crowd." He turns to drop coasters in front of customers that just sat on the corner and I watch as he smiles and makes small talk with the older couple. I realize Jack and I just managed to have a conversation that wasn't about shot ingredients or full of sarcastic remarks. Maybe we'll be able to patch this friendship up after all. He did say he was going to the art walk tomorrow with Fischer, so maybe it will give us an opportunity to hang out again. Try to be friendly. I can see if I am fully ready to forgive him for being such an asshole that night before I left.

Stella also said I should put myself out there with Jack, so maybe this is my foot in the door to see if he'd possibly be into it. To see if he could see me as more than a work buddy. If so, I can finally be honest and tell him his words stung so badly because they didn't just come from a friend, that they came from someone I care about deeply.

He once said I was his favorite person in the world, but it was while he was drinking at Fischer's and I showed up to their party with a bottle of Grey Goose. He had texted me, 'Goose bring Goose' so of course I was his favorite for bringing reinforcements. I remember I played it off by making some sarcastic comment but hearing him say I was his favorite made my heart swell. I had always wanted to hear him say it again. When he was sober.

Once he's finished mixing up a couple of margaritas, he slides over to the computer as I ask, "So you're going tomorrow night? Just you and Fisher?" He starts a tab and then looks to me, "Yeah." He eyes me and then adds, "Why do you phrase it like that?"