Lucy

I could wait to get my tips tomorrow. I didn't want to wait around for everything to be counted out and divided. I had done my closing duties, burned the ice and wanted to get the hell out of Mag's. I managed to successfully avoid Jack all night and I only sent Stella one S.O.S CALL ME URGENT text. 

The problem is, I have cried Jack one too many times so even if she saw it, she probably assumes it's not a real S.O.S. That I just needed to learn to talk to Jack without her giving me the words. 

I was so glad we were slammed tonight so I couldn't think of Jack or Maggie. She was meandering around as a cocktail waitress tonight and I noticed a flash of anger every time she smiled at me. It wasn't her fault. I know that. But knowing her lips have been on Jack's just infuriates me. She doesn't know about my feelings for Jack, although I did tell her I thought he was gorgeous when he started working here. But so did every other girl. I just wish out of all the women that worked at Mag's, it wasn't Maggie. She's a bit of a man-eater, and Jack's the ultimate fuckboy, so I could see whatever happened between them not matter to either of them, but it mattered to me. I was in love with Jack and Maggie was one of my closest girlfriends. 

I put on Olivia Rodrigo as soon as I got into my car and screamed out the lyrics to all of her songs as I drove home. I knew I was being dramatic, I knew I had zero claims to Jack, I was just mad, angsty and sad and needed to listen to someone who knew how I felt. I know my focus shouldn't be on boys anyway. That's not why I came back to Arizona, but my feelings for Jack consume me and I need to stop letting them. 

I sit in my car once I find parking, trying to find the energy to move from the driver's seat to my door. It's just past one in the morning and I am exhausted. My Spotify starts playing "Should Have Said No," and I realize I have been agonizing over Jack and Maggie but not really dissecting what Ashleigh told me about Blake. She just revealed something about someone I was engaged to only a month ago and I didn't even linger on it. My brain could only focus on Jack. If that right there doesn't prove I was never supposed to end up with Blake, nothing will. 

My body and my brain are just done for the day. I release a sigh and kick my door open. As I move up the driveway, I spot the crack that swallowed my heel last night and remember Jack's wince when I went to kiss him. I'm so in my head that I don't immediately notice the sliding door to the studio is cracked open. I stare at the slice of darkness beyond the door and hit the door with my palm. 

"Fuck you Steve and your shitty door." I then realize the light I left on in the bathroom is off. I hate coming home to a pitch-black box, so every night, I leave the bathroom light on so I don't stumble into something. I'm now alert and a chill snakes down my spine. I debate pulling the door open, but what if someone is in there, hiding in the dark?

My heart starts beating wildly as I pause outside of my door. I don't hear anyone on the other side, but I realize the curtain has been pulled back a few inches. I dart away from the door and run back down the street. I'll feel silly for calling 911 if the door somehow just cracked open and my paranoia had me thinking I left the light on and fully shut the curtain. I cast a glance behind me, but still don't see any movement. 

I yank my car door open and drop into the seat in one swift motion, now wide awake and panicking that someone broke into my place. Stella is in Portland, Maggie is still closing down the bar and my parents are over an hour away. I don't know where I can go. 

I glance out my window again, wondering what to do. Do I call the police? Should I just find a hotel? Break into Stella's? Am I just being paranoid because everyone keeps telling me how much this part of town sucks? Should I just open the door and check? 

I then realize there is one person that I know will come to check out my place with me. I pull my phone out of the cup holder and he answers on the second ring.