Lucy

Two weeks ago, I was apprehensive to walk into Mag's knowing Jack was inside and now, I am terrified to walk in knowing Maggie is inside. I glance at her Volkswagon parked next to Brandon's Tacoma and wonder what awaits me tonight. She ignored me last night and focused all of her evil energy on Jack. 

I hate that we have tension, I don't have a ton of close friends in Phoenix and I would hate for our friendship to implode over a guy. She never reached out to Jack, so we were unsure if she took his resignation seriously. Jack doubled down though, posting on Instagram that we were involved after telling her he was dating someone. There is no question now that I am the girl he was talking about.

I force myself to open the back door and unhurriedly make my way to the office door. I linger outside to hear if anyone is inside, but apparently, the small room is empty. I quickly shove my purse into my locker and then run a finger over Jack's fighter pilot. My Maverick is gone. 

I assume I am at the back bar tonight so I swiftly make my way into the crowded space. ASU is playing UCLA tonight, so the bar is jammed packed. The game has already started so the actual bar isn't swarming with drinkers. It's mostly just fans loitering all around the bar, filling any space they can. The drunken body heat from all the basketball fans makes the bar stuffy and warm. 

Maggie is punching something into the POS with Missy covering the customers at the bar. Maggie has a certain menacing look about her tonight with her black lipstick, pale complexion, and dark smokey eyes. My heart and stomach squeeze as I wonder if both Valentines are going to come for me. Missy spots me first and gives me an appreciative smile. 

"I am so glad to see you. We're swamped," she says as she slides two brass mules across the bar toward her customers. She takes one step over and helps the next couple that's eagerly waiting as I shimmy behind her to get to the POS to clock in. Maggie must feel me beside her because she darts her eyes to me, but then quickly looks away. 

"Hey Mag's," I say hesitantly as her gaze is on the computer.

"Hey. Clock in." I follow her instruction and stamp my thumb finger down. I notice she's dressed in wide fishnets under her black shorts and her black lace bra is peeking out from the low-cut Mag's Bar tee she cut into a tank. Her combat boots go almost up to her knees and they are totally ass-kicking boots. 

"I assumed I was back here tonight," I tell her and she finishes checking whatever report she was looking up. She nods and then says, "Yeah, I'll have Missy stay back here with you until Jack gets here." I freeze at her words but she doesn't notice me panic. I do not want to be the one to tell her Jack is really not coming back. I decide I am not going to be Jack's messenger and get to work. Maggie darts off toward the office without saying anything else to me. 

ASU apparently does not always play during March Madness so this game is a big deal. The crowd only grows as the game continues and we have plenty of campers as they stay neck and neck with UCLA. Jack was actually glad to have tonight off because he was able to watch it at home on his couch with a spread of pizza, wings, and beer. I asked if he was going to have a watch party, but he quickly shook his head no and said he didn't want to deal with a single person tonight. I wanted to check in with him, but I was never given an opportunity to slide my phone out of my pocket. We stay steady until half-time and even then, the bar is so crammed with refills that checking my phone is out of the question. 

"Jack really isn't coming?" Missy asks me as we both land at the drafts at the same time. I keep my eyes on my pour as I answer, "He really quit Mis. He's not coming." 

"Shit," she mutters and then spins away with her pints. Maggie finally wanders into the back so I quickly move to the furthest end of the bar that overlooks the patio drinkers to avoid her. My back is to her when I hear her say, "I can't get ahold of Dalton. He's never been a no-show."  My guess is Missy did not tell her about what went down last night.