Jack

As I dropped into the driver's seat, I realized I was actually more nervous to see Lucy tonight than I was when she came back to Mag's. I couldn't read her expression when I told her I was going to be looking for her tonight. I had hoped she read into it correctly, but then Maggie had me help Brandon, so I wasn't around her for our last hour at the bar.

I tried to look decent tonight, wearing the black jeans she once picked out with a nice gray henley my sister bought me for Christmas. I refrained from sticking a hat on my head and I haven't busted the pomade out since New Years. I wanted tonight to be the start of something with Lucy. I wanted her to see me as more than Jackass Dalton. I wanted her to forgive me for yelling at her two months ago.

I noticed she had posted a picture of the cookies she made for the gallery but nothing that implied she'd be joining them. I also checked Stella's Instagram, but there was just a story of her getting her hair done. Lucy better be coming tonight. I know she can be a bit anti-social with certain crowds so I am hoping she took my bait.

It's less than a half-hour drive from my house to the gallery, so Fischer wanted us to Uber down there. He wanted to take full advantage of the open wine bar but I knew I wasn't going to overindulge. Lucy has had to deal with my drunk ass plenty so tonight, I was going to stay sober.

After I swooped him up and we got going on the highway, he cracked a Coors light and immediately started texting people, asking who was all going to be there. I was relieved when he told me none of Taylor's buddies were coming since I know they are rowdy. Not Lucy's favorite crowd.

"Looks like Shane and Devon are coming. Ariana and Kaitlyn too," he tells me as he reads off the Facebook invite.

"Ariana is all yours," I mutter to him as I glide over to the exit lane.

"Stella and Ariana in the same place. Could be an interesting evening for me," Fischer replies with a shit-eating grin.

"Stella is a no-go dude. You already tried with that one."

"She likes the chase," he says before downing what's left of his beer. "You finally trying to make things happen with Lucy now that she's single or what?"

I nod, "She's single, but she's still salty about what went down before she left." Fischer laughs and crushes his can before throwing it in the backseat. I glare at him for treating my car like a trashcan but he just shrugs.

"She might still be salty because you were right. You tried to tell her he was an asshole before she left and turns out, he was an asshole."

"Yeah I said a whole bunch of stuff that night I don't think she's quite gotten over. She basically only speaks to me when she has to. Last night was the first time it felt semi-normal."

"Well, she's also the only girl that knows your sexual history. Lucy is a relationship girl, not a hookup. Do you think she has any idea you see her as girlfriend material now?" 

"She can't think I see her as just a hook-up. If that were the case, I would have tried to sleep with her years ago." 

"Maggie still after your nuts?" He asks and even though I am wearing sunglasses, I give him a knowing look. He laughs before adding, "That one is crazy. She's hot with that whole tattoo and purple hair look but...you can tell she's nuts."

"I'm a fucking dumbass for kissing her. More than once. I took all of my frustration with Lucy leaving and put it where it was going to backfire on me. I know she's wondering why I didn't sleep with her that night we started up in her room. She's been trying to tear my clothes off since."

"She has no idea you're in love with her good friend? That you only kissed her out of spite?" Fisher asks with a smirk.

"Sometimes I feel like that whole bar knows I am into Lucy and other times I feel like all of them are clueless."