Jack

One Week Later

I've now experienced the worst week of my life.

I really thought Lucy was going to show up before my flight to San Francisco on Monday morning. I kept looking around, trying to find a frantic brunette screaming my name as she dashed through the airport. Then I realized, that stopping someone from getting on a flight is not realistic. How would she know which flight I was on? How would she know when I was going to check-in? It's not like she could have made it through security to stop me at my gate unless she had a ticket. And I would have been irate if she spent money to buy a stupid ticket just for dramatic effect. And how would she have found me at security? Would she have just loitered there all morning? Sprinting between terminals? It was stupid. The whole notion of stopping someone before they got on a flight made no sense unless they had already been booked on the same flight or asked someone for the flight info. I asked my dad stupidly if Lucy reached out and he asked, "Why, does she have my number?" Good point dad. Why would she have your number? I don't even think Fischer has it. So I stupidly texted Fischer my flight info just in case Lucy wanted it. I really thought she was going to come running up to me to declare her love for me. Even though I was only going to be gone for eighteen hours. I felt stupid and my dad was irritated that I was irritated. I brushed it off, had a kick-ass meeting, and was stoked to be told we had won the job. I immediately got the impulse to tell Lucy and then got irritated that I had to keep the news to myself.

When I got home from the airport, her baking shit was still everywhere because Stella didn't know what to grab in the mad dash we did when we got back from Scottsdale. Seeing her mixer sitting on my counter had me avoiding the kitchen completely. I couldn't look at it, but I knew if it was here, it meant she'd come and get it. Ruby was her last prized possession. She wouldn't leave her sitting on my counter for too long.

When it was still sitting there on Wednesday, I texted Stella to ask Lucy if she wanted it. When I came back from class, I saw it was gone and my heart fell out of my asshole. She and Stella came and cleared out when I was in class and the thought infuriated me. I checked the hidden key I leave under the mailbox and sure enough, it was moved. I left it under the back and it was now stuck to the front side. She came in like a thief and stole what was left of my heart.

I was relieved to not have any shifts at Mag's this week because I couldn't bear to walk into that bar again, knowing she wasn't going to be there. I had to deal with that pain for two months, I couldn't do it all over again- this time with everyone well aware of our feelings for each other. I told Maggie to mail my last check and I officially washed my hands of that place. I told my parents the truth about what happened with Maggie and my car and they told me they'd support me through graduation if I needed it. If only the Halloway's were that easy to deal with.

By Thursday, I was empathizing with stupid Keeley. All I wanted was a text from Lucy explaining why she felt the need to break things off. Any explanation would have been nice instead of the silence I was receiving. It almost made me text every one of my exes to thoroughly explain why I had ghosted. It all actually would have been the same text: I am a jackass who wanted to explore different vaginas. We had also originally scheduled to have me tutor her in calc on Thursday's but I saw that she was baking at Stella's on her Instagram. She's managed to release three videos this week so at least  I know she's using all of her free time for something other than figuring out my flight info or class schedule.

I'm a glutton for punishment so I kept watching all of her new videos on all of her platforms endlessly and leaving stupid comments under BakerBuddy1234. I have never gone through a breakup before, but I think this one is turning me off from relationships forever.