Jack

I don't remember the last time I slept past nine, so I am stunned to see it's almost eleven after I am jolted awake by the sound of my front door slamming. I drop my phone back onto my nightstand and wipe my hand down my face, noticing my stubble. Lucy and I slept in separate rooms again but she said today was going to be day one. That the past two days were our trial run, but I have to admit, after how rocky our trial period was, I wasn't sure if subscribing indefinitely was the best move. 

I could see how insecure Lucy was last night with me, with her, with us. I tried to reassure her, I tried to tell her I was committed, but only time will tell if she's actually ready for this. Or if Blake and my carousel of women have scarred her forever. 

I hear Stella's distinct throaty laugh and am surprised she's here so early on a Monday. She doesn't have spring break like Lucy and I do, nor does she work a night shift. I hear a gentle rap on my door and then watch as Lucy's face peeks into my room. 

"Hey, wasn't sure if you were awake. I thought for sure you'd have gone for a run already." I pull myself up and am surprised to find myself feeling hungover without having a drop of alcohol. 

"Yeah, me too. Had no idea how late it was. Stella here?" 

"She is. Sorry, we got so sidetracked last night that I forgot to tell you, we're doing some things for my baking website, so I'll be taking over the kitchen for the next couple of hours. Hope that is okay?"

"Of course. I no longer have work today so is there anything I can help with?" I ask and I watch her shoulders drop. She leans against the door frame and then says, "Shit, you're really done with Mag's then?" 

I nod, "I'm not dealing with it, Luce. I'm sorry, I'm done."

"No, I get it. I am supposed to work tonight so that will be new. Just tell me if Maggie reaches out to you."

"I will," I tell her, and her arms stay wrapped around her torso. She's finally dressed head to toe in her own clothing and her dark hair is tousled to one side. I watch her start to say something but Stella's voice from the kitchen cuts her off. 

"Okay love birds, I need Lucy on set! Hair and make-up is waiting!"

"What is it you're doing?" I ask her as I catch her grimace. 

"Stella wants some photos and content for my website. Nice ones where I am all dolled up while I bake." She eye rolls and then adds, "But Stella knows marketing so I am rolling with it."

"Can I help? Do you need a lighting guy? Or taste tester?" I ask and she shrugs. 

"Come out when you're ready to socialize. I'm sure Stella will utilize you." She smiles at me and things seem normal with us. I think we both emotionally vomited last night and we are both eager to move forward. She pushes herself off the door frame and then disappears down the hallway. I slump back against my flattened pillows and glance at my phone again. I gave Lucy my password last night, but I really didn't think about what she would find if she decided to actually go digging through my phone. I quickly unlock it and go to my messages. My thumb stays busy swiping at threads I can delete without reading. Seventy percent of my messages are quick convos with random girls and it's probably best that Lucy doesn't dig into any of it. She told me to delete shit so swipe, swipe, swipe I go. 

After I feel my messages are relationship-appropriate, I open my DM's. I quickly swipe away there too. I have a ton of unopened messages that I also clear away without reading. I'm not going to lie, I can be a bit vain on my posts which have led to a plethora of female followers and many thirsty messages. I can be a dog, I know my messages aren't anything I want Lucy rifling through, so I quickly mass unfollow and delete all the dating apps. Today is day one.