Lucy

I was determined to keep our relationship under wraps at work, but as soon as I rounded into the office and saw Jack waiting for me at the lockers, I knew it was going to be almost impossible. We had the most magical time at Target and everything felt easy. I felt like I was being myself and not second-guessing everything I was doing or saying. Holding his hand felt comfortable and reassuring, like slipping on your favorite hoodie. He seemed to actually enjoy helping me pick out cooling racks and baking sheets. He even covered the entire trip- after much arguing in the check-out line - and seemed genuinely excited for me as I laid out the shooting schedule I had planned for spring break. Our first day as a secret couple seemed to be going smoothly and I still hadn't spoken to Stella about any of it. 

"Hey, long time no see," Jack says when he spots me. He had to come in an hour early today to finish prepping for the night shift, so I had an hour to myself to prep the guest room for my stay. 

"Oh hey, how have you been Jackass?" I jokingly ask him as I slide my water bottle into the locker. 

"Oh, it's going to be like that now, is it?" He asks with a smirk and twinkling eyes. 

"Yeah, you're definitely still Jackass around here."

"Couldn't agree more," Missy says as she rounds the corner, startling both of us. Her bright red lipstick matches her hair color and she's wearing one of Maggie's revealing tops. She smirks at Jack and adds, "Just kidding. Kind of." She winks at him, clocks in, and then leaves us alone in the office. 

"I told you she was giving me sass," Jack says as he points to where Missy was just standing. 

"Looks like she does think you slighted Maggie," I say in agreement and then shut my locker with my palm. 

"Yes, but does Maggie think so?" Jack asks rhetorically. I realize Maggie might be aware that I know something happened between her and Jack if Missy mentioned something to her. She might be willing to tell me her side of it. I don't mention it to Jack because I don't think he'd want me gossiping with Maggie about him, but if the subject comes up organically, I might seize the opportunity.

"How was the bitch work?" I ask him as I clock in and he moves away from the lockers as he answers, "Maggie had me barback instead. So if we're short on supplies tonight...my bad."

I watch him slide his phone out of his pocket, read a text and then look to me, "I know you work tomorrow afternoon, but what were you doing in the morning?" 

"Having brunch with Stella. Why?" I reply back and we start walking toward the back bar. It's already packed from the afternoon games and we hear a collective cheer coming from the front. 

"Taylor invited me to a barge party in the morning. If you're busy, I might go then." 

I feel my stomach squeeze. It was dumb to think Jack and I were going to live in a bubble. He was going to go be around his friends and lake rats sooner or later. We've only been an item officially for like, 14 hours and I am already nervous with him hanging out with that crew. I glance at him as we cross into the bar and his thumbs are already flying across his screen. It's spring break, and he always spends it on a lake, so I really shouldn't be surprised that that's what he wants to do tomorrow. I glance at him again as his eyes are still glued to his phone and I realize this is where trust starts. Something I am not good at. 

I see Hannah and Maggie covering the back bar and when Maggie spots us, it's clear that she is thrilled to be relieved. 

"Thank fuck you're here!" She tells me as Jack holds the panel up for us to cross into the bar. Hannah is at the computer and Jack quickly goes to help with her tickets. She's wearing black lipstick and her purple hair is in a pin-up style with a large loop resting on her forehead.