Lucy

The air has left my body. My heart is in my throat and my brain has been switched off. I feel myself blink at his confession but I feel more confused than anything. 

"What?" Is all I manage to get out. "You were in love with me? I didn't...what? You never said anything, or even acted like I was anything more than a friend." I am beyond surprised. I've never gotten the impression from Jack that he was interested in me that way and now he's dropping the L-bomb on me. 

"I didn't realize it until you told me you were leaving. I was so aggravated and I couldn't figure out why and it was actually Fischer who spelled it out for me."

"Fischer knows?" I ask in shock, wondering if there were clues I didn't see. He nods as he takes a step towards me. I'm still clutching the towels to my chest, perched on the corner of his bed and I am glad I was sitting when he told me. 

"I wanted to tell you, but then I thought it was selfish of me to say anything if you were happy with Blake. But I just hated Blake so fucking much that I wanted to gauge where you were at with him that night. Everything came out wrong, so when you came back here, I knew I had to make it right. So, this is me telling you and I am so sorry I kissed Maggie, if it makes you feel any better, I couldn't go through with it. I realized if I went there with her, I would cross a line I couldn't come back from, so I didn't." He's rambling and I'm sure exhaustion is helping him with this confession. Jack is not one to share his emotions and I didn't even know he was capable of falling in love with a girl since he goes through them so quickly.  

I drop the towels behind me and then stand from the bed. He shifts his weight on his feet and I can't believe how this evening has turned out. Two hours ago I was screaming in my car that Jack was a traitor and now I'm in his room as he confesses his feelings for me. If he was brave enough to tell me how he felt, I can shove all of my insecurities aside and do the same. 

"You said you were in love with me two months ago. Do you still feel the same?" I ask before I throw my heart at him. I watch him swallow the lump in his throat down and he doesn't answer me. He just gives me a slight nod, with his soft teal eyes making him look scared shitless. 

"You're actually in love with me?" I ask, my voice getting caught in my throat as tears come into my eyes again. "Jack...you have no idea how long I have wanted you to glance in my direction. I've been in love with you since you brought me that damn cake when I reached a hundred subscribers." He lets out a laugh, as I'm sure he remembers the dinner Stella made him come to to celebrate my small victory. "You showed up with that cake that said, 'Congrats on your followers' and said, "don't worry, I told the cake lady this wasn't for a cult leader," and it made me laugh and feel so special, and then you bought me that expensive bottle of champagne. I had never felt so genuinely celebrated by someone and I wanted that attention from you forever. I just never thought I was good enough for you to notice me in that way." 

He crosses the room and my heart is pounding again. He grabs onto my hands as he says, "Lucy you are too good for me. That's why I haven't gone for this before. You weren't a girl to fuck around with. You're not a hookup and you deserved so much more than I could give you. But then I realized that I was dumb to let someone else love you. Everything I wanted, you have, so when you came back I was ready. I love you, Lucy." He then goes for it and I tilt my chin up so our lips can collide. I throw my hands around his neck as his hands find my lower back. He pulls me into him and pushes my lips open with his tongue. 

I can't believe I am kissing Jack Dalton. I cannot believe he is in love with me. I can't wait to tell Stella. 

I move my hands from his neck to his face and this is one hell of a first kiss. I then wonder how far I want this to go and if he's also thinking of his bed three steps to the left of us. I take a step backward and drop my hands to his waist. He pulls away from me so we can catch our breath. 

"I've been thinking about doing that for a long time," Jack confesses and I laugh. 

"I've been thinking about doing a lot of things to you for a longer time," I joke and his eyes widen as he smiles. 

"We're both dumb you know, I didn't think you had any interest in me, which is also why I was hesitant to say anything." 

"Jack, name one girl that you know that has had zero interest in you," I ask with a smirk and his cocky ass knows women love him. 

"I once heard you tell Meg that I was a walking STD and would only ever be in love with my jet ski," he says flatly with a smile playing on his lips. I laugh, hearing how harsh that sounds, and reply, "I couldn't just stand by and let women throw themselves at you in front of me either. I had to keep some away." 

"Well, my tom-cating days are over Goose. It's only you from now on," he tells me and I'm pretty sure my heart just exploded in my chest. My smile is hurting my face, and his grin reaches his sparkling eyes too. I reach my arms up to rest around his neck as I say, "I think we are so tired that we are officially delirious. I'm going to need you to tell me that again when we're not exhausted."

"I'm going to feel the same way tomorrow.  And I'll remind you too," Jack says playfully as his hands find my waist again. 

"I hope you do," I tell him before he drops down to kiss me. I think to the bed again, and wonder how far Jack is willing to go tonight. I take a step to the left and move my hands to his waist. The tips of my fingers push through his shirt to brush over his hips. He releases a low moan as my fingers slide over his soft skin and then says, "Lucy, we made a lot of progress tonight. But I don't know if we should cross that finish line just yet." I quickly remove my hands, wondering if I read the situation wrong, but he grabs my hands before I am able to move away. "I want to Lucy. God, I want to. But I really am trying to not fuck this up." I shouldn't feel rejected but the feeling lingers. I'm being dumb, he said he was in love with me, I can wait for the rest of it. I've waited years, what's a few more days? I nod, trying to agree but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to rip his clothes off. 

"I want to make that special. I want to do it right," He tells me and I can't help but let out a breath of a laugh. 

"You're not taking my virginity, Jack. I don't need anything special." 

"Yes, you do. I'm going to take you to Paris. Or to the fanciest hotel in Arizona." He runs a hand down my face and it's not helping my desire to get him into bed. 

"Maybe since we have to work all week, we can settle for somewhere in Phoenix. Your bed would be fine," I tell him but he shakes his head no as he takes a step away from me. 

"It's time for me to woo you, Goose. No IKEA mattress with sheets my mom bought me. I am going to make it special. You just wait and see," he tells me and I laugh again. "But for now, I am going to let you sleep. You look fucking exhausted." I feel all the events of this evening wash over me. Jack is right. We need sleep. 

"Fine, but I think your bed is big enough for the both of us," I tell him and he raises an eyebrow at me. "I will keep my hands to myself, but there is no reason for you to sleep on the couch." He eyes me again, wondering if we can be in the same bed so I add, "You know I am not a cover hog." He kisses the top of my forehead, making butterflies explode in my stomach again, and then says, "Fine. Let's go to sleep. My wooing starts early."