Jack

The front bar closed down almost a half-hour before Sabrina and I closed down the back bar. Tonight was brutal. Sabrina really only thrives at draft pours and Fireball shots so I was left covering the rest. I feel like I worked for twelve hours straight and never once got a break or reprive. Sabrina was apologetic and confused as to why Maggie threw her to the wolves and I never once told her it was my fault. Because once again, how did I talk about the Maggie thing, without talking about the Maggie thing? 

At first, I thought maybe Maggie really did just want to give Sabrina more experience, but then Maggie shoulder-checked me while trying to get to the bus bucket and refused to help refill my empty garnish bin. I also tried to take my quick fifteen-minute break multiple times, just to give my legs and back a break, but Maggie ignored me every time I asked to take a step away. But as soon as Sabrina said she needed a quick vape break, she and Maggie took off to the back. They then came back in twenty minutes later and Maggie announced a Fireball special. She had Sabrina solely focused on filling up plastic shot glasses while I continued to cover the crowded bar. 

Once I finally caught up on tickets and was done busing sticky glassware, she announced that she needed roll-ups for the kitchen and told me she wanted me to have one hundred done before I clocked out. Maggie finally disappeared sometime during the last game and thankfully, all the girls stayed to help me grab a plastic fork, knife, and spoon, roll it into a paper napkin and secure them with paper wraps. Even they thought the number of roll-ups was insane after the night we had. Lucy stayed silent as she helped me roll, but I caught her eye a couple of times. She wore a blank expression as she rolled, so I had no idea how she was going to be when I got home. 

She clocked out twenty minutes before I did and said a quick goodbye to Sabrina and me. Missy was in charge of closing down and I felt the hostile energy from her too. She was clowning around with Sabrina and Hannah, but when it came to clocking me out, she just glared at me and said, "Have a great night fuck face." I attempted a smile but I am pretty sure it came off as a smirk. I trudged toward my car, but when I finally reached the driver's door I stopped. 

If it weren't for the spotlight brightening the parking lot as I stepped out of the back door, I wouldn't have noticed. But now it's all I see. Someone keyed my fucking car. There is a light scratch across the driver's side down to the tail light. Maggie left over an hour ago, and I doubt Lucy, Brandon, our two cooks or Ashleigh would key my fucking car. If Maggie did this shit, she crossed a line. 

I stand there in disbelief after running my finger down the length of the scratch. I've had women do batty things to get back at me, but keying my Jeep is a new one. I am so pissed that my feet are leading me to the door before I realize where I am headed. I round the corner back into the office and find Missy talking to Sabrina at the computer. They are surprised to see me back in the office, so I quickly say, "Does Maggie still have the camera in the back? The one that overlooks the dumpsters?" 

Missy nods, "I think so. Why?" 

"Can you pull it up? The last hour or so?" I say, trying to keep my anger in check. They dart confused glances at each other before Missy pops up off the office chair. I was almost expecting a snappy comment back from her but maybe by the look on my face, she knows I am not fucking around. She pulls the cabinet doors that house the security monitors open and I watch as she bends over and clicks around on the keyboard. I don't want her to try and hide anything from me, so I cross the room and plant myself beside her. I open my phone and start recording the screen that shows the parking lot. She's hunched over as her squinty eyes watch the footage rewind. She catches it as soon as I do. Even in black and white, Maggie is recognizable. She had a unique updo tonight which is what gives her away immediately. Missy freezes before she plays the footage but we both know what we are about to see.