Lucy

I figured my parents wouldn't be happy when they learned all my shit was stolen, but I didn't think they'd act like I let the burglar come in and take it. I've already laid it all out there, and I got a big fat no in response. I've resorted to begging. 

"I'm sorry Lucy, but this is insane," Mom says as she shakes her head. "Why would you put yourself in this position is what I want to know?"

"Why didn't you move home after New York? We have your room here?" My dad adds and I shake my head. I feel angry tears welling up so I look away from them.

"Because I didn't need you trying to salvage my relationship," I finally confess. "I knew you'd try and make me work things out with Blake and I didn't want to." 

"Why though? Twice now you've had everything you've ever wanted at your fingertips and you walked away?" My mother says, baffled that I wouldn't stick around with a cheater. 

"I had everything you wanted me to have twice now," I say, choking back tears. I rarely cry in front of my parents, unless I am injured or watching a sappy movie. 

"What?" My dad asks while sticking his hands on his hips. 

"Mom I know you love New York, I know you loved having a daughter that went to Julliard, I know you loved Blake, but to be honest...I never loved any of that. And it's taking every ounce of courage that I have to ask you to help me while I get back on my feet. I need help and I am not going to ask Jack or Stella for anything else." 

"What? Lucy, I am so confused as to what you are talking about right now."

"Lucy, if we give you this money, you said you're going to buy a laptop and baking supplies with it," My dad repeats and I shake my head yes. 

"How are you paying your bills? Where are your savings?" He asks me and I wipe my hot tears away from my face. 

"Gone. New York is expensive and Blake and I split everything. I paid for my move out there and I was making a little more than minimum wage. I moved myself back here which is why I brought so little back. That's also why I am back working at the bar. So I can get an apartment and put everything into baking."

"Where were you living when all your stuff was stolen? You don't have an apartment now?" My dad asks, like he's trying to piece together a puzzle that he only has half the pieces to. 

"I was renting a room from a friend and now I am living at Jack's."

"You just started dating and are already living together? Lucy, honey, what are you thinking? He seems nice and all but you're only setting yourself up to fail again. If you have no money, and you two break up, what will you do?" 

"That's why I am asking you for a loan!" I say exasperated. "So I can pick myself back up and not rely on my boyfriend for everything."

"No, you'll just rely on us to clean up your mess," My mother snaps and my dad snaps his gaze from his scotch glass to her. 

"Lucielle-" my dad starts but she cuts him off with her hand. 

"Lucy, I am sorry. But we gave you every opportunity for twenty years. We set you up for every success and you threw it all away. We gave you the opportunity to fix your life here and you ran away to Phoenix with little communication. We are paying for your schooling, again and now you want us to pay for your mistakes. We have not had to pay a cent for Lauren since she graduated from Yale."

"You paid for her Ph.D. I saved you money by going to ASU!" I throw out there, but my mother looks thunderous. 

"And you're paying us back by baking cookies for the internet. At least your sister took what we gave her and made a life out of it. We gave her wings and she flew. We gave you wings and you threw them away and you are now mad that we won't give you them again."