Lucy

Jack follows behind me into the kitchen and I don't stop until I reach the wine pantry. I'm looking for another Bordeaux when I hear my father's deep throaty laugh coming from down the hallway. I pop my head out of the closet and catch Marcus and my dad cross into the kitchen. They are both wearing sleek golf attire, black pants paired with striped Callaway polos and they are pink from the sun. 

"Lucy!" Marcus says when he spots me and my dad's gaze falls on Jack. I leave the wine in the pantry and stride over to my brother-in-law. I press into him for a quick hug and then I quickly embrace my dad. My dad is taller than Jack at 6'4, but he's broad and solid like his dad. 

"Hey, how was golfing I ask," at the same time Jack extends his hand toward my dad. 

"I'm Jack, Mr. Halloway. It's nice to meet you," Jack says and my dad grips his hand. I see Lauren saunter into the kitchen and as she passes Jack to get to Marcus, she says, "Jack is Lucy's future husband." 

"Yeah, that's what the last guy thought," my dad mumbles and it only takes seconds for my face to be covered in crimson. 

"Oh?" Marcus says and then turns to face Jack, "It's nice to meet you then, Jack." Marcus is the best thing about Lauren. He's pleasant, personable, and remembers people's names. He's a handsome man with dark hair, a light complexion and dark eyes. His parents are from Korea and he speaks Korean but doesn't have an accent. Lauren brags that Marcus is actually fluent in 3 other languages but I've only ever heard him speak Korean and English because unlike my sister, he's not a show-off. I have no idea what he sees in Lauren other than her perfect figure and Ph.D. My mother kisses my dad on the cheek and then says, "Lucy was just about to tell us what a you too star is." 

"A you too star?" My dad asks in confusion. Marcus lets out a laugh and then says, "I think she meant YouTube. Yeah, Lucy, your videos are great!" I can't hide the flicker of confusion my face conveys because I had no idea Marcus knew about my videos. I blocked Lauren from viewing certain posts just so she couldn't write nasty comments on my videos. 

"They are, aren't they," Jack chimes in and my mom and dad look lost. 

"Her what videos? Are these on the internet?" My mom asks before looking horrified. "Are you putting videos of yourself on the internet?" 

"Mom, they are for my channel. I told you I started a baking channel on YouTube."

"For your cookies?" My dad asks and he slides a bottle of scotch out from the cabinet over the fridge. 

"Yes. My cookie channel. I told you I was making money baking cookies remember. It's why I am getting a business degree."

My mom shakes her head, "You said you were going to open a bakery. Not get paid from strangers on the internet." 

"Mom, I'm getting paid from YouTube. Not from strangers on the internet."

"It's only a matter of time until Lucy is on OnlyFans though," Lauren mumbles and Marcus swats her shoulder. "What, I am kidding. Her ugly dance feet would not bring in enough to pay the bills." 

"Scotch?" My dad offers and Jack and Marcus eagerly accept. 

"Okay, so, you're still doing the cookie thing?" My mother asks as she shakes her head. Trying to process my words with all the other noise around her. 

"Honey, let's not start badgering Lucy right away," my dad says as he pours the amber liquid into low crystal tumblers. "Do you just have this celery here?" My mom then abandons her line of questioning and strides off toward the fridge to feed my father. Jack happily sips his scotch and I can see he's more at ease now that the men are here. I slide my hand into the crook of his arm and hold onto him like he's an anchor as my mom covers the counter with dips and cheeses. He has no idea how grateful I am that he is here, helping deflect Lauren's cheap shots.