Jack

Stella comes barreling toward the table as quickly as her high heels allow. When she reaches us she asks, "Where is Lucy?" I glance to Fischer and then reply, "I thought she was with you."

"She was, she ditched me in the bathroom," she says as she scans the restaurant. 

"Why?" 

"Because some bitch Keeley wrote her and told her all this fucked up shit you said about her, Dalton," Stella seethes. "She has her phone and purse. She may have left. Or maybe she's having a fucking panic attack outside." I bolt out of my chair, and Stella and I weave around tables to get back to the front. I have a bit of a lead on her so I am the first to burst outside. I scan the parking lot but don't see Lucy. 

"Did you valet?" Stella asks and I nod. "So she is obviously not at the car." 

"I'll call her," I mutter and then bark at Siri to call Lucy Halloway. She doesn't answer so Stella gives it a try. She shakes her head at me and then texts her. 

"What did Keeley say to Lucy," I ask and Stella's glare has me taking a step back. 

"That you said she has low self-esteem, you'd never be interested in her, all this bullshit," Stella answers and I drop my head back in annoyance. "What the fuck, Jack? Did you actually tell Keeley that?"

I shrug, "Probably. I told Keeley whatever she needed to hear so she'd stop nagging at me about Lucy." 

"She also told Lucy to go get checked for STDs!" The angry blonde snaps and my eyes go wide. 

"Are you fucking serious? That's like, slander. Fucking libel," I spit out, enraged that Keeley would have the audacity to say such a thing. 

"What did you and Keeley talk about today?" She asks and then Fischer is suddenly spilling out of the front door. 

"All good? Do I need to get the check?" He asks with his hands up. 

"Yeah, Lucy is gone," I tell him and he glances to Stella to confirm. 

"I'll go close out," he tells us and Stella gives him a smile in appreciation. She then glares at me and says, "Lucy knows Keeley texted you today. You should be more mindful of where you leave your watch." Her eyes flick to my wrist and Lucy's weird demeanor in the kitchen all adds up now. 

"Fuck!" I snap out and Stella's fists now rest on her hips. People wandering into the restaurant are glancing in our direction but I don't care that they are getting a show. 

"Yeah Jack, what did you two discuss today?" I look at her but don't immediately answer. How do I tell her what Keeley said without making things worse? I shift my weight and then reply, "Keeley basically told me I was a shitbag. Needed closure or some bullshit."  

"Let me see the texts, Jack." She demands and I hesitate. I don't know if I want Stella to read what Keeley wrote. But it would be so much worse to deny her because she'll then assume I am hiding shit. I get why Lucy bolted, all of my instincts are telling me to. 

I unlock my phone, bring up the chain and then drop my phone into Stella's outstretched hand. She's silent as she scrolls through the exchange and then her big blue eyes find mine. 

"Lucy can't read that." 

"Which part?" 

"That end bit. She will fucking spiral if she reads what Keeley wrote you about Taylor's party." 

"Even I was shocked that she'd say that."

"No Jack, if she reads the kind of sex you had with her and then Keeley tells her to go get an STD check, Lucy will fly the fuck off the handle. I don't care what you do behind closed doors, but I know Lucy will care."