Lucy

I'm trying not to dwell on the look I saw Jack give Lauren. It's the same look every guy gives her when they first meet her. The holy shit you're so fucking hot AND a doctor look. I can only imagine the role-playing fantasies. 

I stride over to the cabinet where my mother keeps the glassware and purposely avoid the crystal glasses they got on their honeymoon in Germany as if I would ever suddenly reach for the special glasses that have been off-limits my entire life. As I snag a bulbous glass from the back, I ask Jack, "So, first introductions are done. Were they what you thought?" He hesitates as he swipes the glass from my hand and then says, "Terrifying? Yeah, you did a good job preparing me for that."

"My sister is especially firey today. Should make for good entertainment." I shut the cabinet and then spin around, "I want to say she'll tone down when Marcus gets here, but she actually just gets worse. I'm pretty sure she keeps his balls in her Prada bag." He follows me over to the wine pantry and when I tug the door open, he scans the dozens of bottles tucked neatly inside.

"How does my mom not have this in her house?" He asks in awe. My hand glides over the tops of the bottles and my eyes find an expensive-looking one near the bottom. 

"She said no to certain glasses but not to certain bottles." I yank the Bordeaux from the slot and then drop the bottle in Jack's hand. He glances at the label and then says, "This looks expensive."

"It's French and probably from the wrong bank which is why it's sitting near the bottom."

"I don't know what that means but I'm sure whichever bank is fine for my limited palette." He drops the bottle on the counter and I hand him the fancy eclectic opener. He is pulling the cork out when Lauren slides the glass door open. She holds up her empty wineglass and then says, "Thought I could use a refill." Her eyes land in the bottle now in my hands and then scoffs. 

"You would grab the nastiest wine." 

"Please don't try and impress us with your left bank bullshit Lo. Jack doesn't care and neither do I," I tell her with an eye roll and then snatch the bottle from Jack's grip. I overpour my glass and then give Jack and Lauren an appropriate amount. I notice she's still willing to drink the shit wine she just complained about. 

"I'm just wondering why you pulled that bottle? You should know good wine at your age." She lifts the glass to her perfect cupid's bow lips and gives the wine a sniff. 

"Just drink it," I mutter and then take a long swig of mine. I don't even let it sit in my mouth, I just tilt my head back and drain it. 

"I had wondered when working in a bar was going to turn you into a lush," Lauren says with a smirk before taking a dainty sip. 

"Funnily enough, I don't drink at work. Just when I am around family." 

"Whatever helps you deal with your failures," Lauren snides back and Jack just sits and watches us volley snideness to each other. She raises her glass as if to toast me and then glides her dark eyes over to Jack. I watch her drink him in and wonder how Marcus would feel about her current stare. 

"So blue eyes, what do you do for work?" Lauren asks sweetly and Jack drops his glass on the counter. 

"I work at a bar. Not a drunk though," he adds a smirk and then glances at me. "It's where I met Lucy. We work together." I am glad he didn't say "worked" so I didn't have to explain myself so early on in the day. 

"Is that your long-term goal? Work in a dive bar?" Lauren asks, her wide eyes still staring as she takes another sip of the sub-par wine. 

"No, I am graduating from ASU in a couple months with a master's in architecture. Already have a job lined up at a firm in Phoenix." I also notice Jack left the nepotism out, but Lauren gives me a sly smile before replying, "Oh really?" My mother then interprets the line of questioning by sliding the glass door open.