1. THE BLOODY NIGHT

CHAPTER 1

THE BLOODY NIGHT

❤❤

Author's PoV

Shine Residence

Rockleigh, Aelburn

July, 2021

The struggle between Lauren Shine and Verona Driscoll ended in favor of Verona when she stabbed Lauren's thigh. Lauren fell to the floor, not letting out a scream even after watching her blood color the floor. Now Verona's hand was encircled around Everett Shine's neck. Lauren's blood from the knife dripped on his shirt when Verona held the knife gravely pressed against his throat. A primitive smug of exhilaration cavorted at the lips of Verona of being so close to her first murder.

"Don't do this." Lauren Shine's voice was wimpy with the last rays of hope. "You're better than this." Lauren tried to placate Verona. "Lyndon is not worthy of you. He would definitely abandon you too." She wept, lying on the floor, blood draining and dousing her from her right thigh. Yet Verona had no interest in heeding her plea but held on to her parasitic nature.

"I told you this would happen. I told you never to trust a parasitic creature like her and yet you let her in. You let her in your own life." Lauren's dad said in a tired faint voice. He wasn't strong and agile as he once used to be. He was old, exhausted from trying to save the world and now at the hands of Verona.

"If you do this, you would become evil and there is no turning back. You were the one who thought nothing was permanent. He isn't permanent. Remember, I'm the only one who is always looking out for you?" Lauren's voice was laden with desperation to turn Verona's determined-to-kill eyes toward her.

"No." She sent a shrilled voice from the back of her throat that rumbled in the corners of the house. The house was huge, wide, tall and magnificently everything but alone on a lonely road at Rockleigh in Aelburn. "Your father tried to kill me. He tried to butcher me like I'm an animal. Maybe I am the last of my kind, but I am not weak," she said with a grotesque expression, with a cruel, already lifeless tone. "Now it's time for me to unleash the supernatural qualities in me," she laughed in a lifeless timbre now. "He still thinks he is purging the world by killing the last of us." Her grip over him soldered further.

After all, she was a Parasitic Supernatural Being (PSB) whose very nature was to feed on other people's energy or kill a person and feed on their soul's energy or dine on the whole soul itself.

Lauren tried to crawl her way through the blood-covered floor to reach Verona, but it was too late. The floor mindlessly let her dad's blood mix with her own blood. Verona had already sliced the throat of Lauren's dad and he fell, blood oozing from his sliced throat. It was barely even attached to the body now. He fell right in front of Lauren. His soul emanated out of his body forcefully. Unwillingly. Unwillingly, because his daughter was still in a dire situation. Lauren had always been able to see spirits. Maybe that was because both of her parents could see them as well. Maybe that was because both of her parents were exorcists. In a matter of seconds, Verona sucked out the fresh, out-of-body soul's energy. Verona could have feasted on his whole soul and made his soul extinct like he never even existed, but something stopped her. Maybe she wanted to trap his soul in a dark cell where there existed no speck of hope.

The Shine family lived by the code - never to let a Parasite live once the Parasite had killed a human or fed on the energy of a living human. Everett wanted to end Verona's life only because she had plans to kill Ashlyn Emerson-Stone because the Parasite in her ruled over her human self. Ashlyn was Lauren's soon-to-be sister-in-law. Lauren wished for her dad to blink his eyes or even flinch in pain, but his life was long gone now. She wailed and wept for her foolishness in trying to save a Parasite or did she think she could change her? Nothing mattered anymore. Verona was going to kill her, too. Lauren couldn't see her dad's soul. His soul was already fading at its outline, as most of the energy had been sucked out.