30. THE NEW MOVE IN

CHAPTER 30

THE NEW MOVE IN

❤❤

When my senses woke me up, I looked at my phone immediately if I had slept over. I most certainly had. I had to meet Verena at Aiden's at 10AM. Thank the heavens. It was only a quarter past 9AM. I swung my legs down the bed and scurried to shower. Only after I turned on the shower and let the cold water hit my thin waxed skin, I realized I didn't feel scared when I put my legs down the bed. Heavens, I didn't even remember that I was scared last night.

My only concern now was the cold water needling my skin. I couldn't wait for the heater to heat up the water. If I did, I'd be late because I had to walk to Aiden's today. When I came out of the shower, I was shivering and cussing. Ugh... I wore a chopstick-blue jeans and a red wrap top that had a V-neck. I had to wear something warm over it. Something to cover my hands fully. I pulled out a full-sleeve beige cardigan. I didn't have time to dry my hair. I flung downstairs to eat my breakfast. I saw that my mom was ready to go somewhere. Not somewhere. She was about to go see my grandmother in Ironwyn. Probably it was time to take my grandmother to the hospital for her monthly check-up.

"Where are you headed?" she asked, before I could ask her.

"To Irsia's. I have to finish an assignment," I said, taking a spoonful of crunchy cereal. "Where are you headed?"

"To Ironwyn," she said, not looking at me but walking to the kitchen.

I saw my dad pacing in a rushed manner as usual and they both left. My mom asked me to lock the doors properly and ordered me to return home early. My dad, as usual, just waved bye and left. I watched them leave from my window, I hurried to the sink and washed the plate. I ran upstairs to call Aiden. Four missed calls from Irsia. Oh! She would kill me.

"Hey...," I drawled.

"Where the heaven are you?" she groaned.

"I am just about to leave." I said, in a voice that I thought would pacify her, but it didn't.

"And what? Fly here in seconds?" she asked as I took a strand of hair and put a clip on it.

"Good question. Don't worry. I'll be there as fast as I can." I also dabbed a little bit of lip stain with flashes of yesterday, making my heartbeat fluid. I shoved my raincoat in the bag. Notebook –check. Pencils and pens –check. Oh! Pepper spray –yes, check. Walking alone could be a little scary given the retrospect of the CONMISDUM and the ghost incidents.

"I could have come to pick you up, but my brother came home last night and he has gone somewhere with my car." I could feel the pressure in her words.

Whoa... what? "Edric's home? You are going to have a good time. How long is he staying?" I climbed down the stairs.

"Just today. Maybe tomorrow. I don't really know," she confessed. "Thank God! Elec's not here."

I laughed aloud. "Is he still not over Elec?"

"Actually, can anyone get over Elec?" Exactly...! I remembered how Edric was around Elec. Every time Edric saw Miles at school, they had a stare contest and it ended in a draw.

"Poor Edric."

"Uh... no... don't use his name next to that word and in the same sentence. He isn't poor or anywhere in that proximity. I am pretty sure he's fooling around. A lot." 

"Oh! God!" I spat, feeling disgusted. He had a reputation for that. "Anyway, I'm walking. I'll meet you at Aiden's." I hung up and dialed Aiden. It was hard to lock the door with my phone in one hand, bag on the shoulder and my slightly damp hair. Holding my phone betwixt my ear and shoulder, I locked the main door and then locked the gate.

"Hey...," I chirped. "Did I fall asleep while you were still talking to me yesternight?"

"Yup." He confirmed to my embarrassment. "You were sound asleep when I hung up." I could sense his smile and I smiled too. "Where are you? Verena is close by."

"I just left my home. By the way, where is she staying?" I tucked the keys into my bag.

"– excuse me..." came an unfamiliar voice. I turned around to the unrecognizable voice and a face. She must be the girl from Aelburn. New to the neighborhood. "You live here?"

"Yeah..." I nodded. I felt a sudden urge to run away from her. Considering that would be rude, I planted my feet firm and stood. "You must be the new family from..." I couldn't say Aelburn out loud.

"– Aelburn," she confirmed with a nervous smile.

"– Aelburn? Who is from Aelburn?" Aiden could have broken a glass with that voice he put on now.

"Umm... just my neighbor," I answered him with a faux calm smile. "Don't worry. I'm on my way." But I didn't disconnect the call and he didn't, too. I had a feeling that she would start acting crazy and infect me, too.

"I'm Jade Sherman." A polite smile covered her face. "I transferred to Acadia High. I'm starting this week. Freshman. You are Margo Fawn, right?"

I swallowed the lump and tried to form words but, "Umm..."

"Oh! I'm sorry. Say no to strangers," she said the so-called safety slogan of CONMISDUM.

"I am sorry too," I admitted and I walked away. I imagined that I wasn't rude and I couldn't imagine her sitting alone in the class and at lunch. I wished kids were a little nice to her. At least talk to her but if she mentioned she was from Aelburn, she would have a micro chance to zero chance. But I really admired her honesty. 

"Are you walking?" Aiden asked. "I am so sorry. I forgot Elec had gone to her uncle's." His low grunt was sweet to my ears.

"No problem. I can walk." I folded my right hand against my chest, feeling frigid. "I'll take the short cut through the cornfields and I'll probably be there in 10 minutes."

"You could have called me. I could have picked you up." I was pretty sure that he was on his way to me.

"What? You think I can't walk?" I asked, a little bossy. "Don't come over. I have my pepper spray and I want to walk." I pressed. Upon an electric realization, I hoped and prayed that Jade Sherman didn't hear the pepper spray part. I cut a look over my shoulder but she was nowhere to be found. Relief slightly warmed me.

"Okay... just be safe." His voice was so half-hearted. Though it irked me to some degree, I loved it for some reason.

"What do you think is going to happen to me in a ten-minute walk?" I questioned his thought that tried to be my bodyguard. "Bye. I'll meet you at your house." I hung up, looking at the sky. It was grey again. I prayed it wouldn't rain until I returned home that afternoon.

❤❤