31. HINTS OF EDRIC

CHAPTER 31

HINTS OF EDRIC

❤❤

As I neared the cornfields, I realized I had forgotten where exactly was the path that led to the Rosegrass street. It had been months since I took that path to reach Irsia's home. I paced back and forth twice to make sure I took the right path. Turning the music in my headphones, I found the path. It was a little damp, but it could have been worse if it had rained that week too. I trod on the path, singing the song that played as there was no one nearby. I had to look where I placed my feet because there was a chance that I could fall with a misplacement of my footing over the short stumps. A breeze passed by me, rearranging my hair, causing a susurration of the leaves and left a trail of goosebumps on my fully covered hand. I turned off my music to hear the leaves that I hadn't heard in a long time now. I didn't even know I missed it. I looked at the movement of the stalks that harmonized with the other stalks and they amazed me. The leaves and the stems giving off a sound as they touched each other by the passing breeze –a soft melody to only those who have ears for them and eyes for them.

"What are you smiling at?" came a voice.

Startled, I looked straight and I saw a beautiful face with swaying hair standing a few feet away from me. He had an olive-green t-shirt on, paired with a black-jeans and no weather-proof jacket on. His dark hair swaying like the cornfield's stalks.

"Come to rescue me from nothing?"

He didn't answer me as I walked toward him. I couldn't look at him as I had to look where I place my feet. As I neared him, he extended his hand and I realized that my lips formed a smile. I took his hand and to my surprise, he pulled me closer. He put his other arm around me and pressed his lips to my forehead. His warmth just spread over me and suddenly I felt a little less cold.

"I missed you," he said against my forehead. "What was with that girl from Aelburn?"

"Don't be ridiculous. It's only been hours since I saw you last," I said as if I hadn't missed him.

 "Freshman at our school. She wanted to become friends. I walked away from her. Rudely."

"Did she touch you?" He twirled his finger in a strand of my hair.

"No... she stood at a pretty decent distance, but if she had tried, she could have and I don't think she is infected. She looked... I don't know... normal to me."

I walked with him, holding hands, for a couple of minutes and I realized Irsia could see us when we reach the end of the field. She could see us from her window. He had to set his long legs' pace small. I smiled at it. He didn't notice that and was still rubbing his thumb against my small palm that actually almost hid inside his. As we neared the road, I let go of his hand.

"Irsia could see us," I declared.

"Okay." He huffed.

"Act normal," I commanded.

"Whatever you say, commander in chief," he mocked and as usual, I brushed it off.

As we reached Aiden's home, I saw that his mother wasn't home yet. Verena was already there. She gave a knowing smile at me as I walked into his home, and I couldn't help but smile back. Sheepishly. I called Irsia to come over.

"You are late," she complained.

"I should be the one that should complain," Verena added. "No time to waste. Let's go." She stood up from the couch.