5. BUBBLE PROMISE

CHAPTER 5

BUBBLE PROMISE

❤❤

 All through the class of Mrs. Lin and her scary stares whenever I yawned, my stomach flipped back and forth and so did my mind, from Damon to Desiree and Declan Gardiner. My only consolation was that there was no chemistry class after lunch. When I turned to my left as Mrs. Lin put her back to us, facing the board, I saw Aiden struggling to keep his eyes open and I giggled.

"Who was that?" Mrs. Lin asked, scanning our faces. I froze my face immediately and Aiden was back from slumberland.

Did I giggle that loud?

"It was Margo." Fiona's dainty voice came up.

She always sat at the back of us so she could watch us all the time. If at all she had to sit in front of us, trust me, her neck would turn on its 180-degree mode and if needed, it could go further and further to 360-degree. I could never discern what she found so fascinating in us. To be exact, I didn't know what she found interesting in me. I mean, I wouldn't even analyze me the way she did - all the time. If I did, I wouldn't be such a clumsy mess. I shouldn't have reacted to her telling on me, but I twisted in my seat and turned back to give her a stare, only to realize Elec who was behind me, was already staring at her. We were caught in the act and we got another death-threat stare from Mrs. Lin and an imposition of the equations to be submitted in the next class. Each equation 5 times. Trash. I put my head down looking into my notebook.

When it was lunch, Irsia had the riveting topic to discuss. She had an unquenchable curiosity for everything and CONMISDUM and the missing corpses were just what she wanted.

"Do you know...?" she began. She would make us know anyway. "Again, five corpses had been dug from the Aelburn cemetery. It's been 15 missing corpses this month in Aelburn." 

"That's what the newspaper said. Ghouls stealing corpses." said Elec, chewing her food, bored by the topic of CONMISDUM and ghouls. She didn't believe in ghouls. Irsia just loved to talk about it. I didn't know about Aiden's beliefs in this, but he for sure listened to Irsia attentively.

"I saw a video that explained that this is all staged by a satanic cult. That the cult is sending people straight to hell." Irsia shared her internet knowledge. 

"I saw a video speculate that this has something to do with extra terrestrial beings invasion." I added to the internet knowledge pool.

"I saw that spooky video too. That guy needs to learn how to add appropriate background music. I mean, the comments for the video were more creative than the editing." I laughed at how relatable Aiden's remark was.

"One more word about CONMISDUM, ghouls, or the half-baked internet videos I would either go eat my lunch with Mrs. Lin or I'd puke. These nonsensical speculations are making me regurgitate without even having to look at Fiona's promiscuity with Edric and every other guy." That was Elec ending the conversation.

We were all scared to death because of CONMISDUM, but also bored to death because of CONMISDUM. It was all that people ever talked about anymore. It was all that you could see anymore -News channels, Newspapers and Missing-person posters. It all began a year ago when people went missing. Some of them came back and they infected the ones in their family or friends or anyone they met. People went missing in bunches. It usually took from 6 hours to 3 days for a person who was infected to go missing. It was then announced that it was a mental disease that was contagious. No one knew how it started or how to stop it. When people saw their missing relative, they were supposed to call the CONMISDUM protection facility in Fayhedge town.